Goose reactions to windsocks

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Cocklebur, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

Hello all, Looking to invest in some windsock style snow, speck, and maybe even Canada goose windsocks. The fact that windsocks are light, easy to transport and store makes getting them as oppose to full bodies much more appealing. Curious what everyones experience with windsocks are and how the birds react to them in comparison to full bodies. Are windsocks in high pressured areas not very good? I would like to hear everyones opinion on them.

Thanks

goosnit likes this.
  2. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I use them for snows and canada's. I think they work great. With snows the wind has to be right for them to be really effective. I have sillosocks for canada's. They have the inner bag so if there's no wind they still look fine, you just have to whip them around before you put them in the ground. If it's too windy you just stick them in the ground so the butt hits the ground otherwise they move too much for canada's. I've shot hundreds of canada's over them. In fact I sold most of my fullbodys so I could buy more.

My personal opinion is that guys prefer fullbodys because they like looking at them better and it gives them more confidence, although I have seen days where fullbodys work better. It's like anything, there's a time and place for everything. Last September I was hunting a little over a mile from a big roost and there were 7 other decoy spreads between me and the roost. I was hunting over 120 socks and 80 silhouettes. The geese were all high and nervous by the time they got to me and as soon as they got over my spread they set their wings and sucked in first pass. I had a 14 year old kid out there and we shot our limit (5 geese apiece) in 45 minutes. I drove closer to the lake and everyone else was using 15-60 fullbodys and they all were still hunting. We could have shot a 5 man limit if we had more guys. Granted it was in September, but I would consider that a high pressure area.

3. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

There are so many factors that go into a successful hunt that its tough to say what will work best for you
    Windsocks
    -Pros
    Cost
    Light weight
    Easy to transport
    Easy to place
    Motion
    -Cons
    appearance with no wind
    rain, snow or fog
    high winds

FBs
    -Pros
    Realism
    Durability
    -Cons
    Cost
    Time to place
    Set up time
    Transportation and storage

Also, never discount that just because a group has the coin to afford a FB spread they have the talent to call in the birds. A good hunter will get his share regardless of the decoys

dukgtr187, GK1 and 870 like this.
  4. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

For numbers, socks are the least expensive to acquire and the easiest to deploy and store,,,, however wind is the deal maker / breaker when it come to windsock decoys!!! If you can typically count on having some wind most days you hunt, you will think your wind socks are the "next best thing to sliced bread". But if you find yourself hunting windless conditions more often than not, you will probably find yourself wishing for some plastic dekes.

KID CREOLE likes this.
  5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Or too much wind making a big sock spread look and sound like the start of the Boston marathon.

BirdJ, KID CREOLE and GK1 like this.
  6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Thinking back to when they worked well for blues/snows here reminded me of another sock shortcoming, which is their orientation with even ideal wind. IE: they all face into that wind, instead of offering the more random appearance feeding geese. I could pick out a sock spread as such from about a literal mile away - and my life didn't depend on it. As unrealistic as a single Texas rag randomly dropped on the ground might look up close, mixing them in with a sock spread made the rig look a whole lot more real at distance.

7. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Depending on where you hunt and time, the most critical part of the snow goose equation imho is the calling.

I have heard lots of reports this spring, many of them of guys struggling, well I have buddies hunting in Sk right now and they are absolutely crushing the snows.
    Initially they were using just ecallers, they have turned down the ecallers and are on their hand calls.

This past fall here in California we have a small 50 acre field in a good traffic area. We set up 30 doz or so FBs in this field and then got hit by flooding rains. I wasn't able to hunt the field for a few days due to not having the quad, the walk in bad mud would have been undoable. I did scout the field a few afternoons and watched as geese trafficked over the field and didn't so much as look at the spread. Once we got into the field to hunt it the birds reacted very well to the calling

8. dukgtr187

dukgtr187 Refuge Member

Pressure is definitely a factor. Last season I used socks with wind and without. I had 35 dozen socks and 18 full bodies. I like to mix them and it gives it variation. Granted huntin snows is not nearly as pressured as California is so socks even on no wind days were still working. Just make sure they have the liner bags.

KID CREOLE likes this.
  9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I have had good days with socks and full body specs out here in Ca and have learned and learned if it is not working, change things up or even move your blind. With socks you need wind, without it, it is tough. I am slowly building up my full body spread.

KID CREOLE likes this.
  10. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

I would say your hide/location is more important than calling, but then sound and how the spread is set are most certainly second. We have been doing the less volume is more approach for a few years now and have noticed a significant improvement in how birds work. When they want to decoy they decoy, not hang up like they used to do when running loud sound with horns. Typically we run 8-10 2-4 speaker callers but have them super low, to the point where you can barely even hear the ones down wind of you at all. With individual barking tracks vs feeding stuff. I would love to mouth call as well and need to improve my mouth calling for snows so hunting them in the fall isn't a nobody's home game or honker calling. Just haven't took the leap into buying a nice one, the one cheapo call I have bought just didn't sound right to me. Have a couple buddies who can bark just using their mouths and little groups and singles eat it up. Anyone have any recommendations?

KID CREOLE likes this.