Goose reactions to windsocks

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Cocklebur, Apr 24, 2017.

1. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

I did,,, stop it at 58 - 60 seconds,, and correct me if I am wrong,, but most of the geese appear to be facing somewhat into the wind.

Granted they could be walking away from you,,, but the behavior of an up wind bias on birds settled in and spread out on the ground is something I see year and year out.

But I do agree that in the areas of activity with birds coming and going and jostling for position on the field they typically can be facing all directions as they sort out themselves out, so placing your decoys in all directions would appear more natural for birds coming to land.

One thing that has always struck me was the number of upright heads you see in live birds on the ground when birds are landing.

2. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

I've heard a lot of reports of birds being easier to hunt in Canada as well in the spring, but there still snow geese. The guys that only target Juvies on the tail end of the migration struggle big time when they hunt in Canada it seems like. Most of the guys/guides who think there amazing snow goose hunters are doing just that, hunting primarily Juvies. Not knocking hunting Juvies as we obviously do it too but people wonder how these guys shoot all the big numbers and it's because of that reason. Especially in Arkansas. Getting harder and harder to hunt the tail end of the migration because of how wide spread the internet has advertised how great that hunting is and how many people are hunting later and later. And as Arm Chair said, some days are just going to be good and some just aren't. No Wind and Clouds is about the worst snow goose hunting weather a guy can possibly have, other than maybe fresh snow on the ground. Sun and Wind, you're probably going to have some success. I know we are going to try some new things next fall and spring to try and figure out how to shoot more old birds. Either way I just love hunting snows!

You could be right for sure on the tracks making noises that snows don't like. I know running our track all Spring we noticed birds reacting far better to the sound than ever before, not just saying that because we sell it! Lot of customers I had talked to over the Spring agreed as well, had guys say they ran one track on a caller and our track on another and every flock wanted to finish on ours. Could be the fact that its new? Possibly, or the fact I only put what sounded like relaxed barks into it. Who knows. We removed everything we possibly could to make it sound as reasltic as possible, which will be done to all our future tracks as well. We did have a hunt this spring were we turned off the sound on a few flocks and they decoyed better than with it going, but you could tell they'd been hunted quite a few times before we messed with them. Another huge reason we don't use horns anymore is because they flat out don't sound good. You're hunting a smart bird, using the best decoys you possibly can ex full bodies, hiding as well as you can, and then decide to use the worst sounding speakers on the market, doesn't make much sense to me. Having the right components powering your speakers is also really important. We tested a lot different amps before we settled on the one we are currently using. Of course none of this matters in the fall unless your in Canada, or like risking losing your license for 1-3 years as well as getting a nice fine. We are by no means "professional" snow goose hunters but doing this couple things has certainly increased our success and has made actually finishing birds more frequent than them hitting the imaginary wall. It's always a learning game, and that is another reason we find hunting snows so enjoyable!

Will have to check out those calls before this fall suggested up there, planning on doing a whole lot more snow goose hunting this fall. Either will learn how to sound like a snow or run a ton of honkers with snows salt and peppered and try to make it sound like a lesser honker feed.

KID CREOLE likes this.
  3. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

It so funny how we all have our different likes and dislikes, FBs, socks, wind, fog or whatever. Since we shoot wintering birds we really don't like the wind for numerous reasons. The main reason is being they do one pass and are gone, in calm conditions they will funnel down better. We want to shoot as many adults as possible, mainly for a better chance of a bird being banded and it is a little more gratifying to fool them into landing. It would just be easier to shoot them at 50 yds with BBs vs 2's and 3's at 20yds

Juvie Juke, I don't think the issue is so much the track but its low quality speaker, amp power issues. Think about how much a bad speaker or static sounds to us in a car

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

As the kids say, "Whatever." Still looks a lot more random than the tin soldier formation look of a windsock spread to me.

5. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

Most often its more about what looks wrong in the spread and not what looks right. I have had lots of wind sock decoys over the years and for dark geese the right wind is hard to find day in and day out. Theres a reason why guys use silos for dark geese and windsocks for snows when using the black hole approach to decoying birds.

6. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

That's interesting for sure about the wind! Almost the complete opposite for us in the Fall and Spring. No wind usually is a recipe for a slow day. I agree about trying to land them, finishing birds is what its all about.

Agreed for sure on the quality. It's a lot more than just throwing stuff in an enclosure and calling it a caller, if you want it to sound really good. Same thing with a hand call. We are using a mid level outdoor speaker on our callers, have tested higher quality speakers $100+ per speaker and didn't think the price justified the increase in quality for goose noises. With regular music the difference was pretty noticeable. We had to find speakers that allowed us to keep our callers affordable while producing excellent sound quality, same thing with the amp. We just added a more expensive unit to our store that allows for that "screaming" sound level all the while keeping clarity that we have on our lower priced units while still using outdoor speakers vs horns. We have horns available but I tell every customer I don't recommend them. Some guys just don't want to go away from what they know, and thats fine. My theory is the more realistic your caller, or call sounds the higher chance you have of getting birds to finish over it. Geese, especially snows are so vocal that it'd be hard to think they can't tell the difference between good and bad sound.

As far as the decoys facing the same direction thing goes, seems like in a big snow feed with a decent wind most are generally facing the same direction. Either that or quartering in the wind, a few might be sideways into the wind but rarely have I seen them facing the opposite direction. We always try to set our full bodies this way. If you're really concerned about it with socks, buy Answer Decoys. I'm sure it does make a difference.

7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I am not up to Kid's standards or spread size of FBs yet and he is about 25 miles or so north of where I hunt, so give me 5-10 mph wind and I will be happy as still calm enough to will work and finish good if they like the spread.

KID CREOLE likes this.
  8. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

5 to 10 is perfect to line birds up consistently