Goose tubs

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Uncle.Lou, May 12, 2019.

1. Uncle.Lou

Uncle.Lou Senior Refuge Member

E8944BBD-5DA4-4912-8075-AA78358B9F60.jpeg

2. Uncle.Lou

3. Uncle.Lou

These are the style goose tubs I have used in northeast Ohio. They are used in Ohio on mosquito wildlife refuge. I have seven goose tubs out, and each year. Four to five of the seven goose tubs are used. All the wood is scrap wood for my deck or left over from someone installing a deck about 4foot above the water. 55 gallon plastic drum makes two. cut a third on each end. Drill half-inch holes in the bottom also to let the water drain out, off the hay. I install new hay or straw each year when I’m doing my henhouses and wood duck boxes,had very good success with this style of goose tub.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Neighbor Guy and MJ1657 like this.
  4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Nice project. The geese on our place just use the floating blinds, either on top or in the dog box. Takes a bit of time to clean out the mess from the dog box though.

5. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Refuge Member

Interesting. I have a bunch of nesting boxes out that people have done a good job of leaving alone. I pulled my Mallard tubes after 5-seasons of non use. So I have been looking for alternatives. I am leaning towards goose nesting platforms, I will have to take a look at these as an option a little more.

6. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Cool idea, I have floating tubs, one pair still uses it every night to sleep on with the gosling and the other pair sleeps on the dam, interesting that they still use the nesting box several weeks after hatching but it is very safe out there in the water