Goose with the bow update

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Petterson, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Petterson

Petterson Senior Refuge Member

I used Easton axis arrows with the cheapest 3-blade broadheads I found on eBay. 1 was dead instantly, 2 ran 15yds as I chased em, and believe It told or not, the one with the arrow sticking out of its chest flew 80yds and died mid air, I was stunned after I saw how hard I hit him.

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Yup. Used them for many years. The rule of thumb goes like this; hit them high, watch them die. Hit them low, watch them go.

I've killed a lot of turkeys with an arrow and have never lost one. I switched to Bullheads simply because turkeys have a small kill zone in the body. It's not much bigger than the turkeys head and it can be difficult to find the sweet spot on the body of a strutting turkey.

With the Bullheads, your target is the head/neck. If you connect, the bird tips over. If you miss you don't have a wounded bird running around.

I've killed them with fixed blade Thunderheads and Magnus Buzzcuts. Both are fine for turkeys. I just prefer the Magnus broadheads.

3. Petterson

Petterson Senior Refuge Member

I will have someone there with a shotgun back up, but with broad heads, do they typically collapse or will they run like the geese did as I go to pick em up?