Gopro footage

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Tbgoose, Jan 24, 2017.

1. calstefanko

calstefanko Senior Refuge Member

well their sub par-average calling kills geese and ducks that's all that matters

2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Really??? I've run a camera on many a hunt where better calling would have killed more birds.

3. calstefanko

The key word in what I said is "kills" not "shoots limits", I know your a great goose hunter and I respect that but not everyone is a world championship goose caller, some people have no desire to further their calling skills and don't mind shooting less geese as a result

4. Trevor Shannahan

That's unfortunate as I've seen good calling kill birds on days that anything less would have led to ZERO. It's also not about sounding like a world champ, but about being able to read birds and most guys I see in videos have ZERO clue about how to read birds. It's atrocious and part of why I hate watching any hunting videos

5. calstefanko

Like I said not everyone is as good as you at goose hunting, if it's atrocious watching the videos then don't watch them

6. Trevor Shannahan

I don't watch them. But believe me I'm not the only one who thinks this way and not everybody that think that way is a caller.

I guess in my opinion, if you are going to make a video, then at least do it right. Good spot, good calling, good camera work, good editing. Anything less is just a waste of time

7. reeltime

reeltime Elite Refuge Member

I agree with both of you. I much prefer watching a video shot with an actual video camera. Go pro footage is pretty weak on any waterfowl video. That said, I'd much rather see a well done, thought out, go pro production than a heavy metal laden jerk fest in a field! And don't get me started on these guys who post videos of birds working then throw whatever they are using in the bottom of their blind when the shot is called........

8. Tbgoose

Tbgoose Refuge Member

9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

For me, that was fine, other than a couple of things. You had the birds working to what I could imagine was about 5-10 yds, and a couple of those singles were ink-blotted and shot too close. You had a group land, and a volley of I think around 12 shots and 3 or 4 birds dropped. Perhaps a little practice may be in order, and if you can get them that close, open up the chokes a bit. On another group that came in and flared, out a little farther where the patterns were certainly more open, you took three shots and three birds came down. You have to let your patterns work for you and shooting them at 25-30 yds may be a lot more preferable than at 10-15. Calling was sometimes not perfect but so is mine, but it worked and the birds committed and came right in. Nice job on that. Looks like a great hunt overall.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  10. Tbgoose

Tbgoose Refuge Member

The volley as you call it we actually killed 9 birds. The video clip just didn't show it. I put this up just for a conversation piece. I am editing the footage from the camera which is bad a bit further and show a lot more but I wanted a little feedback. The go pro was our second camera.