Got a dozen Hard Core mallards for Christmas!

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by collintuchalski, Dec 26, 2017.

1. collintuchalski

collintuchalski New Member

So I got a dozen decoys for Christmas, I really want to become a good duck hunter this coming season. I plan to Texas rig the decoys but I was wondering if I should really spray them with matte clear coat? Also, does anyone have a method of rigging them cheaply? If anyone has some tips overall for the Oshkosh area and wouldn't mind sharing spots or anything just send me a PM. Any help is really appreciated!

2. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Never used hard core brand. With Avian-X I found that clear matte was a waste and made no difference in the decoys appearance at the end of the season.

3. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

They will work. I have purchased several dozen and painted them to look like bluebills to fill my diver spread.

I’m not a fan of clear coating myself (very good decoy makers swear by it) but I’d rather repaint them when they lose paint.

Since clear coating over paint that may not stick well won’t make it stick, just lose your clear coat investment.

Mono (line heavier than 80lb test) and mail order weights are the cheapest rigging options. One example of mail order weights it “weight bandit”, but there are many others if you do some googling.

The key to being a good duck hunter is scouting, scouting and more scouting.

4. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

Please listen to this advise. With enough scouting you can kill ducks with 4 decoys of any make and kind.

woodiefanatic likes this.
  5. collintuchalski

I used google and the WI DNR public land maps to find 5-6 spots that look fairly decent but that's all I have to hunt right now. I am willing to knock on doors but I'm not sure of where to even really look for private land. I will be going to all of them before the season starts next year to try and find my best options. I just really hope a couple of them will be able to produce. I went to a few places this past season but I didn't have any decoys but I did buy one fleet farm drake, didnt work. Like I said I just hope a few of those ponds will be able to produce!

6. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

IF you did not check out the rat river area and some farms along it check that area out. When I went to school there in the 80's, I hunted there.

7. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

Actually just went that way to have a burger and beer at Slim and Mary Ann's in Zittau.

goosenazi likes this.
  8. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

And you didn’t call? They have pretty ok food. And I like beer.

9. collintuchalski

10. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

Lol he can't.

phan6622 likes this.