Got a dozen Hard Core mallards for Christmas!

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by collintuchalski, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

I think @recker999 might be looking for somebody to hunt with.

dvegas and GK1 like this.
  2. collintuchalski

collintuchalski New Member

I have 13 public spots with some sort of water (mostly ponds, some rivers) marked on my gps. Hopefully, a few of them will turn out to be good. Starting out all on your own is actually pretty hard!

SB2MAG likes this.
  3. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Why is starting out on your own hard? Are we supposed to feel sorry for you with your negative response?

You have a huge advantage by being a in Oshkosh. Thousands of ducks and geese around the area. Hundreds of public places to hunt and farmers in the area who will let you hunt.

Why do you think this is hard? I like hunting because it is a hard. To hunt is therefore easy because I like the challenge.

When I went away to college and hunted public land for the first time. I never thought it was hard. I hunted on my own 98% of the time and used wood decoys that I made, a borrowed pair of leaky rubber waders and a fishing pole to retrieve ducks that dropped in deep water. I learned a lot with a short thirty day season and only three ducks a day plus you’d feel lucky if you even saw a goose.

You have such an advantage today. Longer seasons, excellent Decoys, GPS, mojos, steel shot that works well, light weight waders, calls that actually sound like ducks or geese, goosenazi’s advice, plus the internet. Don’t squander this excellent opportunity to waterfowl hunt by thinking it’s hard.

pud123 and 1duckmaster like this.
  4. collintuchalski

collintuchalski New Member

I meant it's hard to find a good spot. With a very limited budget being in college I can't afford a lot of things. I like having to work for good spots and what I have but it's very discouraging to try a bunch of different spots to have nothing even be even an okay spot. Am I giving up? No I don't think I ever will but it would be really nice to get a reward once in a while.

5. Ratboy

Ratboy Senior Refuge Member

There are quite a few spots within 30 minutes of Oshkosh that "can" be very good. Now some of those spots take some effort to get to, but are well worth it. Marshes around Poygan and Waukau can be really good. The key is to scout and keep up on water levels.

goosenazi likes this.
  6. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

They took my pm privileges away due to me sending random dick pics.

Ratboy and dvegas like this.
  7. goosenazi

Maybe give me your number....

Ducker 4 Ever and dvegas like this.
  8. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

What do you need to afford to make you a better hunter? Ninety percent of my decoys have holes in them and the paint is scratched off. Some are older than you. Most Craig’s list decoys are better than mine. Some of the most reliable guns you can buy for under $50. Cheap 2 3/4” shells work very well too.

4BB39289-E420-4494-9261-A8B6113684F3.png

For ten bucks or cheaper on sale,

37EE47D7-3CAB-4613-9BE8-534B62C6190D.jpeg

you can sit down with Goose nazi and learn 40 lifetimes of hunting info or pud123 can tell you how to make black and white silos for $50 that will decoy thousands of ducks and geese even on public land.

Your biggest expense would be gas for your car, so get a cheap $100 beater that gets good mileage.

Most of the spots I hunt are very poor spots by any hunters standards. I hunt them because nobody else hunts them.
    One spot is within thirty minutes of Oshkosh and five minutes from my house. I can hunt there because I asked the owner if I can place some wood duck houses and hen houses in his swamp. I usually only get a couple ducks and geese there a year. It took me years to figure out the best way to hunt this spot for what I deem an excellent return on my investment.

33EAB037-6E7A-4B5F-82F9-7D30484BC177.jpeg

In college, I got a part time job at an ice rink so I can buy this $110 gun to sky blast (pass shoot) ducks and geese that was close so I can save money on gas and I didn’t need decoys or a boat. I’d only bring ten rounds per hunt in order to make my shots count plus I couldn’t afford to miss too many shots.

91AEBB67-9DDE-448C-9D8B-E34F2F11D829.jpeg

Ramen noodles, fried duck breast and blatz beer was my typical college meal. But a lot of the time it was only ramen noodles and water.

Your reward should be getting to go hunting.

pud123 likes this.
  9. goosenazi

And random dick pics.

10. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

College hunts involved a 12 hot buy mallards with some paint left on them, a well used Maverick 88 shotgun, a borrowed canoe, and a massive hangover... Still had one of my best mallard hunts ever with that equipment. Location > gear.

pud123 and pointblind like this.