Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Got any decoy storage ideas to share?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by GanderCommander, Mar 25, 2006.

1. GanderCommander

GanderCommander Senior Refuge Member

Guys, I am just starting a project in my shop to get all of the decoys off the floor to open up more space- probably for more decoys. I came up with a good way to hang up floaters, but need some ideas/pictures of how you deal with your full-bodies. Also, how you deal with your bags of decoys and layout blinds. Curious as to how you built your shelves.

Attached Files:

2. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Senior Refuge Member

I live in an older home and the garage doesn't have a celing - just the roof so there is a ton of untapped storage space. I built a big shelf across one of the beams running the width of the garage and attached it to a 2x6 that I lag bolted to the back wall.
    I also put an eye bolt in one of the rafters and use a hoist to haul up the decoy bags. Good place to store camping gear too.

If your shop is pretty tall, I would think you could build a platform (or 2) in that corner, either in a square shape or in a triangle shape. I think a triangle shape strung between the main upright posts in your picture would give you a huge amount of storage space on the shelf, and you could probably still walk under it.

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I have a 4x 24 shelf for decoys suspended in the shop/barn.
    During the season I keep my most often used gear on the floor ready to go. Im still trying to get rid of decoys somre they mostly fit up on the shelves.
    Right now the full bodies are in 6 slot bags, with the blinds stacked on top[​IMG][/IMG]

4. salthunter

My set up is something like gonehunting discribed. I suspended from the the roof rafters and mounted a ledger to the posts.
    I can load the decoys right from the back of the boat

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

The only caution I have about hanging or storing dekes high is the heat that rises up there. I thought I saw on another thread somewhere that heat will warp some dekes. Any of you guys concerned about that?

6. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

HH your right also the will become brittel and crack and then sink :l ... what I have done is put hook bolts in the beams of my shop and hang my bags..."gets them off the ground. full bodys you can drill a hole in the base and build hangers.... also you need to get the layouts off the ground so mice don't get in them... also make sure they are dry that way they don't mold.... Basement are the best place it is cool underground... I think "INtheDECOYS" has a pic of his set up he has shelfs built for his spread.

7. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Senior Refuge Member

I haven't had any problem with this (yet), maybe it takes a few years to happen. I have the el-cheapo "hot buy" dekes too.
    It's not like it isn't hot in Boise....

8. salthunter

Many of the silos will warp. Ive had a few carrylites deform. Jusdt dont stack decoys too deep
    Most of the heat problem is a construction problem that should be corrected anyway. Proper roof soffit, and gable vents will prevent excessive heat.
    I stored all of my decoys in a garage trusses. Black asphalt shingles. I put in the correct amount of ventlation and didnt have problems

Ive also hung utility hooks on the wall of my garage and now my shop nd hang about 8 decoys per hook for fact access, for different decoy line leagths

9. Hambone

Hambone Elite Refuge Member

I stored 4 doz Carry Lite bluebill dekes in the attic over my garage and about half of them cracked like eggs the next fall. It was a closed area and got pretty hot even though I had a thermostat controlled electric fan up there to cool it. I'm still using about 2 doz that were OK and that was about 10 years ago - but, I don't store them in the heat anymore.

10. Goose um

Goose um Senior Refuge Member

I use to store the fullbodys by running conduit between their legs and hanging them upside down from the rafters.