Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Got back a bad mount.

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Ilbucksndux, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Ilbucksndux

Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

I know I know you get what you pay for,and ALWAYS ask to see some work and check references . . . . . . . .

I met a guy that has actually been around for awhile now,seen his booth at multiple outdoor shows ,but I guess I never took the time to actually look over his work good. He didnt have any ducks in the shop when I dropped it off but he showed me some pics and then told me of an outdoor store that had one of his displays,and even gave me a list of references to call. I stopped by the store and it was ok work,not the best,but not the worst either. I called the references and they were all happy so I figured life was good.

I get the call that my mount was done and ask him to send me a pic. WOW ! he then ask me what I thought and told him the neck looked a little long but I was assured that it was the angle of the pic.

I go and pick it up and it was WORSE then the pic ! Body was huge,neck was LONG and skinny feet all crazy looking.

I told him to keep it,and the down payment and after a heated discussion I left there paying only the down payment with a zombie looking half duck half goose looking ball of feathers.

Do research LOOK AT RECENT mounts,but its probably better to stick with your normal taxidermy man.

2. Clint

Clint Refuge Member

That sucks i ve had similar experience though and its a shame, just hopfully it wasnt the first duck you've ever shot that would be worse.... I have tried 4 taxidermist over the years. The third one was the best and i would have kept using him but he decided to stop doing waterfowl due to family commitment issues. So the fourth guy is a friend of mine who like i was tired of getting less than desirable mounts back at a high price so after a season under his belt, he is now licensed and doing all my mounts, he is better than most and by far cheaper$$$. I just hope he sticks with it and continues for years to come.

FYI the second guy was an award winning taxidermist but his waterfowl mounts were less than quality so i prefer to go to someone who specializes in waterfowl, NOT african big game.

3. squatty420

squatty420 Elite Refuge Member

Please share a picture of the "bad mount" mount......

4. 2n1shot

2n1shot Senior Refuge Member

it blows my mind that people think that just because someone is a taxidermist that it means they can mount any animal out there. Almost 100% of the guys that do great big game do horrible birds and vice versa. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but not many.

5. Ilbucksndux

Ill post up a pic tonight. The bird was my sons first redhead. It wasa young bird and it was killed early in the season so it didnt have good color to begin with but it should not look like a goose either. I will say he uses the head instead of a false head and the bill looks amazing ,bu thats the only thing that does

6. Ilbucksndux

It blows my mind that he thought it looked good !

7. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Where's the beef..... Picture in this case.

8. Wild Rice

Wild Rice Senior Refuge Member

Just remember the taxidermist can't make a bird that isn't fully plumed looked like a top quality mount, because it isn't. I have a couple birds mounted that probably shouldn't have been. If it isn't full color, you have to expect a lesser quality mount.

9. 2n1shot

2n1shot Senior Refuge Member

Even a bird in less than prime plumage can be mounted anatomically correct.

10. squatty420

squatty420 Elite Refuge Member

Still waiting on the picture of said bad mount..........