Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Got back a bad mount.

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Ilbucksndux, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

I see where your headed and I agree to some extent however, there is a lot to be said for someone who mounts fur and is amazing trying to mount birds and can't. But they still accept them and put out garbage. We have all seen it way to many times on here from guys like this.

2. Mr. Taxidermist

Mr. Taxidermist Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

And it will still look like a bird with less than optimal plumage. My live birds look like crap when they aren't fully plumed out and I'm sure a lot of you guys wouldn't accept one of those if I could get it to stand still on a piece of driftwood. Most guys who aren't "bird taxidermists" simply don't have the skill set to deal with less than optimal birds. What really sets a good bird taxidermist apart from the rest of the pack is how he/she handles birds with pin feathers, shot damage, etc. But, at the end of the day, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what. From the description, it sounds like the taxidermist who mounted the OP's bird does not have a good handle on birds and it would not have made a difference if the bird had been in prime plumage.

3. 2n1shot

2n1shot Senior Refuge Member

I never said it wouldn't, just that it can be done anatomically correct. I've seen my fair share of less than stellar quality plummed birds mounted in my life. While the feather quality may be garbage, it can still look like it's supposed to. Sounds like the OP's taxidermist missed the mark. I'm still waiting to see a pic.

4. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I believe this is 2n1's point......OP knew the bird was not prime but wanted it mounted due to it being his son's first duck (which is almost always a problem with IL early youth seasons). Even though a young or pin-feathered bird is not the best candidate for a beautiful mount, it's not an excuse for a Redhead to look like a goose........or "goose-duck" as he originally stated. I can take a January Mallard and make the neck long and skinny......but I don't.

5. 2n1shot

2n1shot Senior Refuge Member

That's exactly my point, Brad.

6. squatty420

squatty420 Elite Refuge Member

If the client brings in a bird with less than prime plumage and wants a good mount, understanding that the plumage is what it is, then that's the clients choice. It's their trophy not the taxidermist's right?

What if it's a youth's first duck which happens to be an early season bird.......

What if the bird has a color mutation.....

The point is to use someone that produces proven results.

Just because the plumage isn't prime doesn't mean it's a reason to not mount a bird.

Would I do it ? Nope! But that's not the point here some are trying to make.

7. Mr. Taxidermist

Mr. Taxidermist Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

You do your best with what you have to work with, but sometimes you have to turn stuff away. I had a new client bring me an October "hen" wood duck. It was wet frozen. After thawing it, I determined it was a late juvie drake that had not even started to come into his first breeding plumage. I had no choice but to call the client and send him his deposit check back. I consider myself a competent bird taxidermist, but something like that is going to leave you with more feathers on the floor than on the bird. So, yes, it is the client's trophy but when it leaves here it has my name forever attached to it and I'm not going to put out a bad product. Some of those less than prime birds turn out fine. I did a ross goose, speckle belly, and sandhill crane a couple years ago that were killed in Sept. They all turned out great, but I have the experience to make that call.

If you re-read my post, my point is that you need to pick a taxidermist that can handle birds of lesser quality. All the top bird folks have learned to deal with pin feathers, shot damage, broken bones, etc. Like I said, it sounds like the taxidermist did NOT have a good handle on birds to begin with...so the status of the plumage in the OP's case probably only made bad look worse. Even with the best taxidermists, when you are talking pin feathers on early season birds, they don't always want to lay properly and if you try to groom them, they tend to come right out leaving gaps in the plumage, etc. As the bird dries and the blood shafts on the feathers shrink, they want to fall out, leaving birds that look rough. It is a nightmare. The point of saying that is that we are taxidermists, not miracle workers. Even the best among us can only produce a product that is as good as what he starts with. The difference is that you will not see work like that from a good bird taxidermist because we know when to say NO. The OP's bird might have been more anatomically correct if it were mounted by a better taxidermist, but it just might have ended up as an anatomically correct bird with rough looking plumage. In other words, a better, more experienced taxidermist might have simply turned the bird away. Hope that clears up my position and some misconceptions.

8. summerjack

summerjack Elite Refuge Member

This thread is worthless without pics

9. squatty420

squatty420 Elite Refuge Member

and if you read our posts that's EXACTLY what several of us are saying! It's just that we don't call ourself Mr. :tu

10. Ilbucksndux

Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

A pic of the a fore mentioned mount

[​IMG]

This is the only pic I have in my phone. It was not his first duck but the first redhead he had ever seen let alone shot. Where we hunt we see very few. Yes I knew the bird was not full plumage and had lotsa pin feathers but thats no excuse for it to look like it does. I wish I had a better pic to show ya.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014