Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Got back a bad mount.

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Ilbucksndux, Aug 4, 2014.

1. squatty420

squatty420 Elite Refuge Member

That guy has no business mounting a duck! That's worse than a bad mount. It's horrific!!

2. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

That has to be a joke.... that mount looks like a cartoon!

3. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I have to give you credit for first, realizing the difference between a good and not-so-good mount. There are still too many individuals that think a good mount is what they see hanging from the ceiling and walls at bass pro shop and upon seeing your photo, would congratulate you on a fine mount. Second, for coming on here and telling your story and cautioning others how not to make the same mistake.

4. Ilbucksndux

Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

I wish it were a joke. Like I said in my first post ya get what ya pay for.

5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

It looks like a flasher.

Is the taxidermist on a watch list?

6. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

Yep, that's........not good. :eek:

7. Rick Acker

Rick Acker Senior Refuge Member

Yes, the neck is a little long & skinny (probably) hard to tell from that picture...probably just needed the "S" curve and the grooming is sub par but your biggest enemy is the plumage. Even the best guys on here would've had a hard time with that bird. Poor plumage birds are always going to have skinny looking necks. You just don't have the feathers to give it that full look. Trust me, I know thing or two about it, living here in North Dakota.

Could your guy have done a better job...Yes, but I've seen worse...Even in Cabela's! Look on the bright side, the bill is painted pretty darn good (not bright ocean blue like so many guys paint Redheads) and the feet don't look any worse than that Canada goose I believe you have mounted above it.(They look the same size)

Take your bird to a pro next time as you said, but opt for a better specimen if you want competition results.

A better option maybe would've been to order a pen raised bird for your kids first Redhead (a replica Redhead if you will) Just a thought. You still could!

8. DUXRUS2002

DUXRUS2002 Elite Refuge Member

No matter the maturity of a bird, it's anatomy doesn't change. The neck is beyond thin and lack of feathers or a slight curve didn't cause something that dramatic. Tree ducks don't even have necks that thin .Lack of skill caused that that, not the bird itself. IMO

9. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Not wanting to beat the dead horse, but again, the OP knew the condition of the bird wasn't "prime" and wasn't expecting a mount equal to that of a 4 year old mid-January harvested Redhead. His complaint, and rightly so, is the anatomy of the finished mount. Just because the duck itself didn't have all his pretty feathers doesn't mean it should be mounted "wrong".

There is way more wrong than just the neck on that mount, but since that seems to be the focus; here is a late-season Mallard just mounted and ready to card. Two different ways to pose the neck/head...full or skinny......same bird, nice plumage but can be "ruined" simply by the placement of the skin. It can be made to look even worse...........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 2n1shot

2n1shot Senior Refuge Member

Very, very good illustration Brad.