Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Got back a bad mount.

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Ilbucksndux, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Rick Acker

Rick Acker Senior Refuge Member

As somebody who's in the media...I HATE when somebody takes my words out of context. No question, the birds anatomy has problems. I didn't feel the need to point out the skin on the neck needed to be taxi'd forward because I felt that was obvious.

I don't disagree with anything that Brad or Dux have already pointed out.

One thing that's not debatable, is that bird is not the ideal specimen to work on and it would give just about anybody problems. If you pulled the skin forward on the neck on that Redhead...(With the correct bend in the neck) it would no doubt give it a better shape. However, I can see the red & grey/down feathers twisting in my mind from here. It's not going to look like a January Mallard.

I'm not justifying the taxidermists work. The mount is not good.

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Taking something out of context would be if someone copied the photo of the bottom Mallard and posted that on another forum as a representation of a mount from Brad's Birds.....yes I mounted it, but it was made that way to illustrate a particular point and not representative of my work.

I do not know what was taken out of context with the quote from you however. You stated that the neck (probably) was a little long and skinny but you couldn't tell from the photo and that all it needed was a little S-curve and some grooming (don't want to quote you because I might mis-quote something). Then you went on to describe how the biggest problem was the plumage which is the quote I copied and was what I was addressing in my post and what I addressed in earlier posts. Bottom line, he was not expecting a "competition mount" from a bird he knew wasn't prime, just something his son would appreciate.

Ironically, now you are saying that the neck does have obvious anatomical problems and that you didn't feel it necessary to suggest pulling the skin forward in the first post.....the one where you said it (probably) was a little long and skinny and just needed an s-curve.....and grooming...... Grooming is not the same as "taxiing" the skin.

3. Rick Acker

Rick Acker Senior Refuge Member

There's more than one definition to the word "context"! The "out of context" that I was referring to, "simply stating that the plumage of bird was more than likely going to give just about anybody problems"! I don't believe that is debatable.

If you care to address that, I'd love to hear it? I'm not saying that you or anybody else couldn't do it...So don't be offended. Just that most would have a very hard time.

I didn't get into anatomy, not "Ironically" as you stated...Because I don't know about you, I don't feel good about slamming people's work...Maybe that's just me? We all have bad days now and then. I also didn't want to point out anything further to make the owner of bird feel any worse.

Your illustration does an excellent job on showing the difference of where the skin should go. It would've helped the bird from an anatomy perspective for sure...Wouldn't have changed the fact that the bird is in poor plumage.

And just because I didn't say it..."The skin on the neck needs to be pulled forward" doesn't mean I don't know it. That's kind of presumptuous don't you think?

And finally, yes I know he wasn't looking for a competition bird...I probably shouldn't have used that term because it too was misconstrued.

I'm sure you've forgotten more about bird taxidermy than I know, but I do know the difference between grooming and the taxi aspect of taxidermy. That's how you finished your last post and so will I.

4. DUXRUS2002

DUXRUS2002 Elite Refuge Member

I will debate "someone's bad day" should never end up looking like a stick puppet much less on said day, they step back and pat themselves on the back for a job well done . I would bet all the money in the world their good days work looks exactly like their bad ones if in any stretch of their imagination that looked like an acceptable mount. Remember they said it was only a bad picture.

As far a plumage, a totally plucked bird would have the correct diameter neck and what I saw in the picture doesn't even come close. Brad's un-taxied picture is 10X better looking than that red head. Taxing the skin would have just lessened that mess.

I will totally agree with you that you can't take an immature red head and make it look like a late season green head.............. or any green head for that matter :dv

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  5. squatty420

squatty420 Elite Refuge Member

And if you posted this bird here or any of the 100's of forums around the interwebs you'll get 100's of replies like this:

Nice mount!

Sweet mount!

Awesome!

:doh

6. Shedhead

Shedhead Elite Refuge Member

that sucks, I had a couple that looked worse than that...the reason I reference is they ended up in your neck of the woods.
    I won a 2 bird mount at DU deal down here in arky, thank goodness I didn't pay for it, I have never to this day seen anything like this cats work, I have family up there where you are and we used to hang out a bit at crazy joe's, when joe had it, so with all the "stuff" he had hanging in that joint they fit right in, especially after we added a couple cigs to the bills, I would suspect they are still in there somewhere.

7. deadgrassdog

deadgrassdog Elite Refuge Member

Sorry for your zombie duck... Sucks when it is a one of a kind to you.