Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Got Ducks?

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Deadrise, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Deadrise

Deadrise Senior Refuge Member

No one hits the boards to say that are stacking ‘em up. I suspect the absence of duck talk is directly proportional to the amount of duck shooting you guys are doing. Don’t want to burn spots but it sure seems like ducks are acting right. Observations?

2. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

All right I'll post up, absolutely nothing around home but hairy heads and coots. Up the road to the North had a couple of good hunts but now all iced in. And will be for a long time. Down South, hasn't been very productive. Have not shot a duck out of the blind. Typical December.

3. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

Burning them up! Back bay, game farm marsh, chickahominy, ware creek, mattaponi, saxis, hog island, ragged island, doe creek, pettigrew, amelia, finding tons of ducks on all of them, limits or close to every day this week. If we don't limit in the morning we head to a different wma and finish up in the evening. Never seen anything like it!

4. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

Truthfully, seeing some new birds, but haven't been doing very much with the ducks, only bagging a few. Geese on the other hand, had some strong days with them. Have heard of guys pounding ducks, someone always is getting them somewhere, but still waiting for it to happen in our spots.

5. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

Out here in the West it’s been my slowest season since 2012-2013. So far, I’ve shot about 30% of birds that I killed last year.

Ducks never hit any of the ponds local to my house. Usually they’ve got enough ducks to hunt until they freeze around New Years every year, but this year the only ducks to use them were in October and early November. Since the second split, they’ve been mostly empty and now they’re all frozen.

The ducks and geese that usually feed in the corn near me haven’t showed up anywhere either.

Lakes are low, grassless, and hunted a lot. Been seeing high flyers, but they know the deal.

So it’s been slow. I’m still gonna keep on though, you never know when they’ll show up.

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Hit the new field in Orange. Good flocks of geese, but staying just high enough or out enough to make us crazy. They’d circle around just enough times to be just on the borderline of range while knowingly giving us false hope of that one more circling flight that never came. Did that a few times with a number of flocks. No doubt they all met the night before and made a plan to screw with our heads. Downed a few, a couple of crows, some dove and some pigeons, so it wasn’t a lost day. They turned me back to looking at the shelf in my garage and grabbing the 3.5er BB’s....something I swore off two years ago. Hello Mr. NOVA.
    Another day I Fought the truck and boat on trecherous 1 inch of snow on the roads in the dark. Arrived with no incident, such a truck drivin mayn! Hit Anna figuring all this cold would freeze up small ponds and shallow small areas and send the birds to the bigger water and to our point we hunt that usually has some action. Water is very low. Places where we used to sit just below high water mark , in a few inches of water just off private land so we were legal, we now have a 40 foot beach of public ground to sit on. Deer tracks everywhere too.
    Almost nothing flying. No geese in range, out of range, V’s over the water across the open water, no V’s anywhere on the horizon. A birdless water dessert. Grebes and Loons teasing us, not even a butterball for crimminy sakes. Helicoptered a crow for yuks and praise to sooth my damaged ego. We were screwing with the blind out of bordom and something to do with a birdless sky and a bluebill buzzes us like he was on fire, but fire we didn’t....dag nabbit. Too bust screwing around. Seriously you would have had the shotgun cradled with the safety off, he was a screaming. Still should have had um. Pulled up at 1 pm. Two boats hitting the coves to see what they could offer. Nothing but a handful of buffies always “ out over there”. Nice day on the water.
    Yesterday, we Hit another farm, this one in George’s. Tons of birds the day before when the guys were deer hunting. . No geese at all the whole AM.Very weird. Very cold and windy and a full moon last night? Cold and windy that eventually got thru a lot of layers of clothes so at 11ish time for Soup, sammies and hunting story lies in a warm kitchen. A kid on his first hunt who takes orders well, has 4 thumbs at times, great attitude and loves hunting was with us today. Loaned him my 12 gauge OU Stoger cheapie, he loves it. He wants one. “ Dad, can I get....”.
    Had a few flocks in the PM, wouldnt commit,pulled in the flapper. More flocks that were more desperate to land came in lower and we dropped a few. The kid got his first Goose. Gave him his two hulls so he could snort that gunpowder smell and stay innocent and away from the school druggies and overall s bags in life and be addicted to hunting instead,in life. Breasted them geese out on the back deck and he thought that was so cool and can’t wait to eat his first goose on New Years Day with his family and tell them all that that was his first goose. First Goose, like in a lifetime of more! . “ Dad, can we go hunting.......?”
    We have another Goose Hunter in our world,boys. A nice kid, full of hope and dreams of downed Geese. The tradition lives on.
    God Bless us all in the New Year, lets count our blessings.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  7. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Geese in my area are sitting on ice/water spots all day, then flying into fields late afternoons to feed on the moon. Back to water before dark to utilize whatever water they can!

8. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Use to watch the geese in Loudoun on the lake. They would take turns going off to feed, always keeping some on the water to keep it open. Pretty smart!