Got "Lucky" today.....

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by DannyBoy, Feb 1, 2014.

1. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Refuge Member

Well, decided to get up early sat. morning and head out for a couple hours of coyote calling with the new Hellfire and new Remington Model Seven .223.
    Got off the highway and snowshoed about 400 yards when I came across sign of coyotes digging at an old gut pile beneath the snow. Set the caller and decoy up next to the digging and sat next to a small tree looking down wind across a replanted clearcut full of 4 foot high replants and willows. Not the best view but it was all I had....Tried "Locator howls" followed by "dying Jack" then "pup in distress". At about the 30 minute mark I saw movement exactly down wind of the call! Slowly the coyote materialized into focus staring at the decoy. As I raised my rifle up, ever so slowly, he immediately picked me off and spun around. Made a mouth howl and he stopped. Threw a Winchester 45 gr, white box at him and it was game over for "Lucky"! There was a second coyote with him but did not see him until he hit warp drive.
    "Lucky" appeared to be in excellent health, not thin, good teeth. Post mortum dump was large! Last seasons pup I would guess. Appeared to walk/trot normal..........He only had 3 paws. Front stub was healed just fine with only a dew claw left! Trap, maybe!? He had a fox power snare embedded into his neck as well!! This guy was one tough hombre!
    "Lucky" survived a power snare and broke it off, had a amputation at some point in his life, then died of lead poisoning. Today was not his day!
    One shot, one kill for the rem seven. Good day!

[​IMG]

2. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

I'm liking that story!!!!

I like that rig too. Does it buck the wind OK for you?

I see you have the rifle on a snow shoe. How deep is it there?

You'll laugh, but a few years' ago, we had three storms in one winter with 12" plus in each storm and I was thinking about getting some. I had to have some guys from the county gov't who were obvious smokers out on my place for some official business. I was OK walking through the deep snow but I thought they were both going to have heart attacks. :eek: :eek: I was a volunteer firefighter at the time and was in decent shape, but I was wondering the whole time how I'd get them evacuated if they did have 'incidents'.

But my question is how much do a good pair cost and how hard are they to take care of? I'm about 6'2" and 250 right now.