Government shutdown?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Calikev, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Gomer

Gomer Elite Refuge Member

Welcome to Glacier National Park, brought to you by Dairy Queen. Be sure to take a day hike up Mt. Blizzard. Just wait until Disney takes over our public lands. No thanks to privatization of Federal lands.

Dan Mallia likes this.
  2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Agreed

3. N.S.F.D

N.S.F.D Senior Refuge Member

HARUMPF!!!

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

It was a joke Kevin, lighten up big guy.........If they shut the delta down, I might actually kill some birds for a change, not kidding it ain't what it used to be by a long shot. Guys hunting refuges a few times a year kill WAY more birds than we see in season.and that's the truth.:yes:tu

5. callinfowl

Good luck with that!!!:l:l:l:yes

6. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Yeah. .... let's privatize all public ground, federal, state, county, and municipal. Then when you go to use it and there is a sign that say no trespassing, a gate, and an armed guard waitin at the gate on EVERY access point, maybe you will say " Huh, i guess we shouldn't have privatized public ground."

I'll admit that the state and Fed's need to rethink their plans on public land stewardship, and really need to revamp their land use plans. It's wrong to charge for the public to use public use, or should they bar ranchers/stockgrowers from grazing. But we don't need to privatize public ground....

7. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

The post was an extreme idea just to fuel some thought...... but I think it was misinterpreted. I meant privatize management of the refuges........with the mandate of INCREASING public access at a discount to the users.

That being said, just because something is public doesn't mean it has no costs to operate. Refuges have to pay for their water, labor, pumps, electricity, supplies, maintenance, upkeep. This costs something..... those who use it (public) should have to pay..... and they do through stamps and passes. Its what is done with this funding that I have a problem with..... and you should also. They're gonna take this same amount of money and possibly shut down your access this year and not give you any discount..... this should really PI$$ you off.

All I am saying is that the govt should hire out a private company to do this better & more efficiently than they can...... from what I hear..... it would not be tough! Imagine better habitat, less waste, employee incentive to better customer (public) satisfaction and possibly reduced costs.

I'm not in favor of reducing public access...... to be clear. MY bad!

8. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

The management of some state parks and campgrounds in the country has been privatized with good results. A friend of mine owns a company that runs state parks and campgrounds all over the country. Here in CA he operates many public campgrounds and charges no more than $26/night. The campgrounds the state runs all charge $35+/night. His company receives no subsidy from the government while the state parks department gets $400mm/year. His campgrounds have no deferred maintenance because he reinvests 90% of the fees received back into the park. CA state parks have deferred maintenance of $1.2bn.

sisqsprig likes this.
  9. sisqsprig

sisqsprig Senior Refuge Member

Just curious, for those saying there should be no charge for using public lands how would you propose the costs of the management and upkeep of those lands be paid for? Where does that philosophy end? Can loggers go log public land without having to pay for the timber? Should it be grazed without having to pay for the AMU's being used? And if you say those two examples are different, they are taking value off the public land , how is hunting different? We are taking things off the land of value just the same, whether that be ducks and geese or deer, elk and antelope. We contribute to the degradation of infrastructure by driving the roads, shouldn't we pay for that? Shouldn't all the backpackers who drive to the trailheads have to pay for the road and trail maintenance that their use requires?

Dan Mallia likes this.
  10. callinfowl

Other states on a much grander scale on less state and Fed. grants then CA gets, why would it work here again?

Because this state is run by greedy crooks!

Red foot likes this.