GPS unit?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Looking to buy a handheld GPS unit this year and want to use onX with it. Suggestions? Ones to avoid?

2. dwhauss

dwhauss Senior Refuge Member

Garmin period. I have used them for decades on marine application. I see they work with garmin on their site.
    stay away from the touch screen gps, I'm sure your fingers are the same size as mine. I have 76CSX and 78CSX, both great machines and reasonably priced, but there are others that offer more options like walkie talkie.

3. dukhuntnfool

dukhuntnfool Elite Refuge Member

Gene I have a hand held I never use you can have

Mean Gene likes this.
  4. sisqsprig

sisqsprig Senior Refuge Member

Assuming you have a smart phone?? Why have a second device? Just use the phone. OnX updates regularly. The gps in my phones have been way more accurate than my last 2 Garmin handhelds.

5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

One reason is the battery life on my phone sucks balls.

Gomer likes this.
  6. Humboldt Hunter

Humboldt Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Does the gps function on phones work when the phone is out of reception? My buddy used his phone on kodiak island and the gps did good there. Don't know if he had reception or not though.

7. Gomer

Gomer Elite Refuge Member

GPS does not need cell signal to work on phones. Just needs to accesss the Global Positioning Satellite(s). But it can suck battery life in your phone.

8. sisqsprig

sisqsprig Senior Refuge Member

Make sure the gps is only working while your OnX is actually on the main screen. If it’s on all the time it will use the battery faster. Also, I use one of these as my flashlight.
    https://hybridlight.com/product/the-mammoth-the-multi-lightcharger/
    Charges itself during the day. Good for a couple extra charges on the phone. If I’m around camp, the vehicle, atv or a boat the phone stays plugged into the charger.

9. Call'em N

Call'em N Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Gene I couldn’t stand the onX on my phone, even though it worked. I have used multiple GPS units with the onX maps in them over the years. My personal favorite is the Garmin GPSMAP 64’s. Easy use, stores a crap load of data points, tracks, etc. Downside is the viewing screen is small. I have a Montana 610 I have been playing with for the last few weeks. For being a touch screen it has yet to fail even in snow/wet conditions. Super easy to use and the screen is a bit larger with great resolution.

Hope that helps.

Mean Gene likes this.
  10. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Buy a battery pack for your phone and forget about it. If your phone is 3 years old it needs a new battery anyways

sisqsprig likes this.