GPS unit?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    I can't find mine. :(

2. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Elite Refuge Member

I and several guys I hunt with have the Garmin Rhino series, GPS/GLONASS... they have a two-way radio and they pair with other rhino units, so you can send your position to your hunting buddy, shows up on your screen and works great. Done this a few times while packing in in the dark.

3. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Because at some point I need to get out of the car and head out into the field.

That's what a friend of mine uses when his group goes to Montana and they love them. They can track their path, talk and see where the other guys are at any given time.

Johnny Ringo likes this.
  4. ElkNuts

ElkNuts Senior Refuge Member

Garmin Montana 680 with OnX. Only way to go. I also have OnX on my phone but like it much better on the Garmin. Runs on a rechargeable Batt and you can also use AA batts. Carry a few extra Batts and youre all set.

beandog likes this.
  5. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Okay some more opinions/ experiences . I purchased onX the week after I returned from my yearly out of state duck hunt. I also bought the onX chip for the individual state, for my handheld 62CSX. So this year we had it all, so I thought.

Like stated while scouting in the truck power wouldn’t be a issue, however, sprint does not have service where we were. Phone service yes, internet no. I was told that wouldn’t matter. Well that turned out to be wrong. Customer service at onX simply stated I should have saved the maps of all the places I was going and I would have had maps, but no locator showing my location, or no way to mark or save anything. Disappointing to say the least.

Not a problem cause I always have a back up plan, hence the handheld and chip. As far as the handheld, I still ride off road motor cycles and have put thousands of miles off road in multiple states, flowing tracks and maps with my 62. Well let me say this, it could be done with the hand held, but not by the person driving, and not with the ease it should be. The screen is just to small while looking at sections of land verses a trail going thru that section of land, the screen is just to small. The newer bigger GPS screens should work, but again the phone with service if possible would be ideal. One of the guys with us had internet service. He signed up for the 10 trial period and between him and the old fashion plot book we got by.

I was disappointed in OnX’s Customer service, and then when it came up for renewal they wanted quite a bit more than my 1st year. So I canceled, not wanting to turn this thread into a B**ch session I will simply put that was not easy.

OnX is the bomb as long as it works, and with my experience, I think the phone in the car, for your scouting and due diligence, and the weatherproof handheld in the field is the way to go.

I tell the young guns how clueless they are, as all but 1 sleep in the morning on the way to the fields as a GPS guides them in. We old guys tell stories of counting poles, or using the the trip meter, land marks, and reflectors to get us there.

Good Luck

6. sisqsprig

sisqsprig Senior Refuge Member

curious what kind of phone you have. I've used mine dozens of times without cell service in several different states and as long as I download the maps before I go I've never had a problem. The little blue dot always shows my location and all the features within OnX work just the same as if I had cell service.

As far as cost goes I think I pay about $100/yr for all 50 states. I may be mistaken but I thought that was about the price of a chip for just one state. Not sure if the chips can be updated as ownerships change but that would be something else to consider. The ownership layer on OnX doesn't update as quickly as Parcel Quest but it does seem to update fairly regularly.

7. ElkNuts

ElkNuts Senior Refuge Member

This^^^^^^ is why I like the Garmin Montana. Huge screen for a GPS. As big or bigger than a phone screen. I'm surprised you had issues with the phone though. I pre download the area I'm traveling too that I know won't have cell service or internet on my phone and when I get there it works fine without either. The modern phones have a GPS receiver in them that works with out cell or internet service. Just like a normal GPS

8. shooter

shooter Elite Refuge Member

Couple reasons... first, I was really disappointed in the waypoint capability with OnX. Couldn't assign the number of unique icons I prefer and don't see the name until you click on it. Second, the performance of OnX depends on phone service. I had mine drop out and come back in many times during a run. Not what i need from my GPS.
    The best feature I found with OnX was the land ownership layer.
    BTW, back to the OP - I just got a Garmin 64S, really like being able to import satellite images. Helps everything make more sense. My lost Garmin didn't have that capability.

9. sisqsprig

sisqsprig Senior Refuge Member

How many different waypoint symbols do you use? I just counted and there are about 40 different symbols in OnX. Way more than I'll ever use. And mine does not depend on phone service for coverage. It works the same whether I have phone coverage or not. As elknuts said above, its using GPS, not cells. If you're losing coverage it would be because you've lost satellite coverage, not phone coverage. My garmins are several years old but my accuracy and coverage under heavy canopy or in deep canyons is far better with my phone than my Garmin handhelds (again, they are several years old, newer ones may be much better). My guess is that this would depend on the phone much the same it does with different GPS units. Some have better capabilities than others. With the phone there is no need to import images since they just show up (unless you know you're going in an area without cell coverage).

10. Real Green

Real Green Elite Refuge Member

In order to use ONX without cell service you have to preload the area maps. At that point, it worked really well for me on a tablet. It was very nice to have the 7inch screen with satellite images. Very easy to use. Many nice features. Including waypoint photos. Yes, it saves where you take the photo. As well as all the other nice features running around unfamiliar areas on quads and foot I never was lost. You know when you take 5 different ohv trails in the early am dark to get to a ridge than hike out two miles to find that bowl and spot until dark. When you have the tracking feature enable it literally marks the trail traveled on the map.

At one point, I realized how dependent I became to the darn thing. Scarred me a bit because I had very limited paper maps. I would be 2 hours from camp (on a quad) and realized how difficult it would be to get back if the tablet took a crap. Following a maze of ohv trails. One point, a tree fall that was unmovable prevented me from back tracking back to camp. I had to circle around on three different trails to get back. OnX made it simple.