Grass blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by lab1, May 20, 2018.

1. lab1

lab1 Elite Refuge Member

I own a 17' gatortrax 50" boat. I want to install a grass blind, looking at Mudbuddy or Gatortrax blinds or building one myself. Looking into all options, so I am interested to hear what others have to say about grass blinds. TIA.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Go with the most heavy duty frame you find or build your own, If that grass gets wet and/or there is a lot of wind it will destroy a lighter weight frame. Saw an 18' Avery pop up blind fold because grass mats got so heavy with water.

freefall likes this.
  3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Fairly simple to copy mud buddy style blind. I,ve built several takes on it over the years for various boats and I prefer to use chain link fenceing top rail from lowes or home depot> Ends are swaged for joining when needed and you can make a 12 ft. run with no sagging or need of props. Does require a large conduit bender unless you use the corner angles from door panel parts in fenceing section. 1" emt electrical conduit also makes a good frame but again you need a bender. Either cordura nylon walls w/raffia zip tied to grassing loops or plastic bird netting w/fastgrass zip tied to it. either can be made to roll up on top rail and store along gunnel underway.