Grassland Public Meeting - Sept 9

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by DuckFan, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Black Max

Black Max Senior Refuge Member

San Luis check station has been running the two option wait list. Its not that big a deal. You may have your choice as " the first thing that opens up."

2. AJCsurf

AJCsurf Elite Refuge Member

So if you're waiting for 14 or 15, and some other guy is waiting for 8 and 9, and no one is waiting for 17a... who gets asked first or who gets first crack at 17a?

3. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Your right Max... It's not a big deal at most of the san luis areas..because of the amount of area/free roam... But at the K it is when you only have a hand full of blinds that are shooters..you got a couple 3 guys ahead of ya... it sucks

4. mark seaters

The guy that did not lock into a blind would, which is a option... and the way I understand it, and if there was not someone with the open option, then it sits open till someone drives in and they can take it...

The gal last year would offer it up though if there was only one or two guys waiting...., I mean why not, two guys waiting just talked about it can work it out.... then if a guy took it, his two picks then come open and the same thing happens again... this whole program is silly for the K...and causes more work IMO for the one person staff...... I got the rules around here somewhere..

I will say last year, I only hunted it a couple times and never really had a problem but once as staff did not know what they were doing with the new program, kind of screwed me up on a pick.

That place... because it is mostly a spoonie shooting heaven, lots of guys don't want to sit around waiting on their "might get" a pick on a good shooter and bounce to one of the other areas more south with free roam. And I don't blame guys..

To me it just seems like to much work for the small refuge with small amount of waiters...now maybe where there is large number of waiters for multi refuges it might be somewhat easier for staff...

Put your name on a list... first guy on list gets first choice of opened blind.. if not go to second guy, ect ect.. how much easier is that..if nobody wants it, it stays open till a drive in can take it....pretty damn simple to this redneck..

To me the bigger problem comes in when a guy locks up two good blinds, (which there is only a couple, IMO) ahead of ya and then refills one of them the other goes to the open option guys, that just might have drove in and not the guy that has been waiting 4 hours for his picks that he is locked into, to open..

Dan Mallia likes this.
  5. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Probably the first person to the check station who asks for it unless someone is waiting for any blind that comes open.

6. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Mark,
    If it is really that much of an issue for you then you definitely should talk to Bill about it or email him about it. If others agree then I encourage them to also do the same.

On your second point you can waitlist something someone ahead of you is already waitlisting because they can only take one blind. So if someone had 14/15 in front of you then you put 14/15 too. Especially if you know who is in the blinds and they are going to come out. Once they go in then you are in line for that other blind now.

7. mark seaters

Thanks for the reply Kevin and I thank you for all you do for the grassland hunters...and I wish I could have made the meeting... one of these years I'll get there!

It's really not that much of a issue..I just like bitching about it on the internet..:l:l:joker

I'm like a lot of guys, I enjoy my rights of choice and don't enjoy a government system making my choices for me when it come to public lands and my hunting and fishing ..and like a lot of people, most don't enjoy changes..but that's just the old school in me !

Bill is a good guy, he works hard for his staff, hunters, the refuge system and the ducks...and I thank him for his hard work !
    I have already been told that this new system has been implemented within the whole grassland refuge system for "uniformity" in the whole grassland refuge system and to make it easier on the staff workers...
    I get it...!!! For the most part and it works for the most part...

It's normal, we all want to work less and get paid more, seems that's the American way.. is it always the best ??...nope !
    But in this case Bill or the system is not going to change because of one refuge that does not fit into the program like the rest, or a handful of guys that fire off emails... they will limp by and get it done..and that's ok.. we just have to adjust and work with the system..

So now with this new program a check station worker, when a parking lot or blind comes open they have to call one name and deal with one person that picked that area/blind rather that a rush of guys hitting the check station looking to get in...asking a million question ect ect...Heck a Fandango ticket taker has to deal with more people and stupid questions .. that a refuge check station staffer and duck hunters..well maybe not..:l

I understand that...and it makes it easier for a check station that deals with several refuges from one compound ... sure makes it easier on them, the workers, and it should make their job easier and it should cut costs in staff also, ....

The person that came up with this program and she has been pounding her chest pretty good should get a fat raise...because it will cut staffing (her coworkers should love her) and costs to the system, which we should be thankful because it means more for the ducks, or should anyway !

We as public lands hunters, or as some clown on here called refuge hunters "welfare hunters", who was that anyway??.... just have to try and make it work the best we can.

As for your thoughts on my second point...
    How the hell you going to know whos in what blind ??? Ya that would be the perfect deal for sure....heck the staff will not even let ya look at who has what blinds picked by the guys ahead of ya.. secret squirrel stuff you know..:l Maybe we all should tell staff when we might be coming out and give cell numbers to call...:l:joker

So.... if you take the same blinds as the guy in front of you..say 10 and 11 and he takes 10...now your locked into waiting for 11 as you can't add another blind to your pick and if those guys don't come out, you wasted your morning/afternoon on the rock kicking program.

At the K it is a complete different program waiting for a few good blinds, very few... rather than a parking lot in free roam where you have lots of area to go too..

Kevin you and I both know you can walk onto most any grassland refuge at anytime in the afternoon, and like most ALL calif. refuges to just hunt... but if you want to kill birds you got to know what your doing !!!
    We'll figure it out and will make it work...
    Got to work the system baby !!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  8. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

That blind waiting waistlst procedure sounds insane.

9. Black Max

Black Max Senior Refuge Member

Dan,
    It's purpose is to keep it simple for staff. Somebody checks out and the first person on the list with that selected option is hailed over the speaker. Done deal.

10. mark seaters

It is...:mad: there is no more first come... first serve kind of list as years past...It has become a game of chance and learning how to work the system... all over again...:l:l and to make it simple on the staff, that sit there all day...doing ah... well you know...:l