Grassland Public Meeting - Sept 9

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by DuckFan, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Simple for the staff? Okay.....

What if you're number 1 and a blind comes in that you didn't "want" and they whacked a bunch of birds. Could you still take that blind if it wasn't one of the ones on your hit list?

Really interesting deal. It's amazing how every check station and hunt program in the state has a different setup for blind waiting, lotteries, etc.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I agree. Sounds like a complete cluster.

Dan Mallia likes this.
  3. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like some self serving hunters cooked up this procedure to help themselves out. :l

4. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

The answer is NO, Dan.. It would go to the guy that might have just drove in and is on the open option list or a guy that is on the list for that blind even thou he is 6 guys down the list, even though you have been waiting for 4 hours. Oh and guess what if your on the open list and a blind comes open and you don't take it... you go to the BOTTOM of the list...

There is no such thing as number 1 in the grasslands sweatline/refill any longer.

The grasslands program is trying to make it uniform and the same within the system, BUT every refuge is different with different attendance from hunters...

It still burns my cookie that they can not find a way to refill the back 4 blinds at the K.. We got a lot of smart people working the refuge system... if they come up with a crazy plan like this "pick and lock" into a area program, they surely can figure out how to get hunters in those blinds when they come empty, which generates more money for the system..I been there at 11;00 and all 4 blinds are empty...can you refill ...NOPE !!!! Real sad and it would take pressure off the front blinds too..

I think the answer is... I sure looks like it ....Dan
    Work the system baby..work it...:l:l

But there is one gal that has been taking credit that she came up with this great idea !! First season employee... :sp:doh

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  5. BlessedFowlHunter

BlessedFowlHunter Refuge Member

The K refill system should be as simple as 1. Sign up for the refill. 2. Once a blind opens up, the staff member over the loudspeaker asks "Refill 1-3, please report." In descending order, 1-3 decides if they want that blind or not. If all 3 do not want it, the next 3 get asked until someone takes it.

It makes no sense to be "locked in" to a specific blind. If you've been waiting 3 hours, you might decide to just take the next one open. But if you didn't select that as an option, you're now at the end of the list. The solution mentioned takes care of all of those problems. For those that are waiting on a specific blind, you know which one you want and will keep passing on the open blinds as they come in until the one you want opens up. You may have a top 3 and have the opportunity for that 3rd one you're considering.

6. mark seaters

BFH.... for refuge manager !!!

7. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

8. mark seaters

9. AJCsurf

AJCsurf Elite Refuge Member

Quota for salt slough changed from 50 to 40 from slide 17 to slide 19. It does say quotas are subject to change haha

10. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Guys you can chime in here and complain about the refill procedure all you want but if you are really that serious about it then come to the meeting and voice your opinions in person next year. If there were enough of an effort beating down the door in opposition of this, then they might consider going back to the old way. In any event I would at least rally up the troops and send emails to Bill Cook and Steve letting them know your opinion about the refill procedure. I know some already have sent emails but this is when the lurkers here need to kick in and help out if it is really that big of a deal. There is strength in numbers.

I also agree with Mark that refilling the back blinds would be real nice and wouldn't be difficult to do. Real simple to have folks out by the certain time to allow the PM guys a shot at those blinds. I think closing them was more of an attempt to create a quality spot that got a little less people traffic. It is always tough losing access to quality locations but if you are the one with the golden ticket then you love not having to worry about people switching out around you. That makes for some good PM shoots out there if one sticks it out.