Gray duck decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Sunklands, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I kill a fair amount of gadwall. Sometimes they pile in, sometimes they look from a distance for gadwall in the decoys and will leave without seeing any. The easy thing to do is add a half dozen somewhere near your spread. It will increase your batting average.

2. Brack36

Brack36 Senior Refuge Member

This year more than other years they just dumped right in without any questions. I have debated adding gadwall to the spread for a few years though. Give it a shot.

3. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Killed a ton of them this year in South Dakota over nothing but mallard decoys.

Ringbill likes this.
  4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

We run a decent spread of about 160 decoys and on the days that the gaddies do it right I feel like we have done a good job of isolaing the gadwall decoys on the edge of the hole. That said we have had them dump in all morning and we have had them pass by all morning. Calling, same deal. Some days awesome, other days they want none of it.

5. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

That's what I see a lot of. On slow days when mallards aren't flying, we'll still have the gray ducks but, their attitude is a lot more shy. It's kinda like they react off the other ducks. When all ducks are working good the gray's are working best.

6. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

We bought three dozen avian x gadwall Decoys this year. They are nice to look at...have a particular spot that is normally used heavily by gray ducks but, so far this year they've been nonexistent. With the weather change coming later in the week, that should change. I'll post a picture of the spread the next time I hunt that particular spot.

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Not always, but that's often the case here at the end of the Mississippi Flyway. They're still the most susceptible of big ducks to spinners, and you may not have time to switch one off before a gray that touched his toes way up is on top of it.

Re: Avian-X grays, I've a few foundlings that are so dark I'd think a bird would have to be very close to ID their species - if it cared.

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

All of the AvianX puddle ducks are too dark. It's the one thing that keeps me from going to all AvianX decoys. To me the GHG pro series decoys have better color.

9. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I hunted in MS a fair bit one season back. 75% of the ducks I shot there were gadwalls and this was over mallard and light geese decoys.

They seem to either work really well or be aggravating circlers and stay just out of gun range. I think that's just their nature.

I'm not sure adding gadwall dekes helps. Can't hurt, I guess.

10. gascrewgunn

gascrewgunn Senior Refuge Member

The days they circle are also the days other ducks do the same...light to no wind and not much sun/cloudy