Gray duck decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Sunklands, Dec 1, 2017.

1. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

Pictures from this morning. Three mallards, three widgeons, one wonderduck and 33 gadwall...all avian x. KIMG0069.JPG KIMG0071.JPG KIMG0072.JPG KIMG0073.JPG

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Yet, how many guys on here swear that all-black decoys are the secret to full straps?

Just goes to show that in duck hunting, there is no consensus.

3. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Not my experience, their propensity to be suicidal at my spots is unpredictable based on other birds behaviors.

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Very true.

In most open water situations (cove in the bay I hunt is 7x3 miles) I prefer flat brown/black decoys. On smaller water I prefer bright colored decoys so even one man can have more than 1 view of what works best.

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

6. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Are you proficient on a call? I've found Gadwall to be the most call susceptible duck. I once spotted a gaddy 80 yards high and already 100 yards past me. I gave em the old highball just for fun and he turned a 180 and I called him down to 20 yards without a single decoy out. Those things commit suicide to a mallard call up here.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Well, one of them did.

GK1 likes this.
  8. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

They either eat up the call or they laugh at it with that "akk akk...akkk akk" as they swing at 80 yrds.

They are a duck. They act different based on wind, food, temp, staleness, latitude, sun, clouds, lousy calling, good calling, barometric pressure, decoy spread and your ability to hide. Figure out the interplay of all those things and duck hunting is easy.

Tuleman likes this.
  9. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    We bought a dozen of the new FFL Gadwall decoys this year from GHG for poops and giggles. Just got back from a week in Ms. We put them to the left of the spread and most every Gaddie went with them. Moved them to the right, and the Gads went to the right side.

The flocked Gads dang sure look good to us, and I reckon they looked good to the Gaddies cause we sure had a bunch that did it right..

[​IMG]

Me & Maggs..........

10. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I've been "making" my own decoys lately from old Herter's 72 Ultimate bodies and Autumn Wings heads. I use stainless steel hardware and paint them myself. Here are the gray duck decoys I put together over the summer...I used pintail heads on two of them and greenwing heads on two. I really like the square look of the greenwing heads but think they're a little too small. The pintail heads are too big and a little too round.

[​IMG]

2WIDGN likes this.