Great find

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by CurrencyTrader, Feb 12, 2018.

1. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

Saw a buddy at the golf course a couple days ago, I have hunted with him quite a bit and he used to be on here, He was hunting this year in the Snohomish Valley on a farm he has permission to hunt...the field he was hunting has been rotated between oats, corn, and pumpkins for years...It floods every year with sheet water, sometime thigh deep, others, just scattered ponds....this year it was small ponds and had been tilled prior to the season.....he was walking around and found a goose band laying in the dirt.....called it in, was banded as an adult in 1991, in Lewiston Idaho, how long that thing has been in the dirt, tilled under and tilled back up will be forever a mystery, but makes a hell of a story

Cocklebur, Goldenhtr, furface and 4 others like this.
  2. Harliduck

Harliduck Moderator Moderator

Cool story...my brother and I used to hunt that valley for years in the 90's...shot a lot of geese there too...maybe we cripped that one...lol.

CurrencyTrader likes this.
  3. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

Harli, We hunted the Hansen Dairy at that time, (off Lowell Larimer) We hired Del Johnson to take his cat down and block a dike that would flood a field for us...got 4 or 5 years in before the pulp trees went in...back in the days it was corn from Everett to Monroe

4. dekecarver

dekecarver Elite Refuge Member

I grew up hunting in the Snohomish Valley. Sure miss it. Like you said, lots of corn, also peas and potatoes. Thanks for the reminder of my younger days.

5. Ducksergeantorg

Ducksergeantorg Senior Refuge Member

That's a cool find, another duck band story

6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

That's a neat story.
    Years ago, we were putting a floater up against an island on a local lake. One of the guys says "Looky here", bent over and picked up a duck band in just a couple of inches of water. I can only think a bird had been crippled, died and washed up on the island. Never did ask him about the banding info.

7. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

Pretty cool, thats a hell of a find. Must have been meant to be. A trophy forsure.