Great Lakes Vacation?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by waterswatter, Jul 13, 2019 at 5:12 PM.

1. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

How would a Great Lakes area be for a vacation around the first week of August? Is it booked up and too busy or do we still have options? We've never been remotely close and don't know a thing about that vast area so give us ideas on what is out there. No kids, just me and my wife. We don't plan to camp but do enjoy driving and sightseeing. Thanks

2. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

I’d suggest Wisconsin, I might be a little prejudice, but it’s great. Door county is cool, but a tourist dominated area. Kewaunee and Algoma have wonderful fishing that time of year, and plenty of charter boats to take you out. Very reasonable pricing on lodging and food. People here are incredibly genuine and any small town you stop in you will be welcome at. If you decide to head up this way give me a shout and I’ll do my best to direct you to some great scenery and food.

3. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

If you’re looking for something more wilderness-ish, look into Independence Lake west of Marquette, MI. Plenty of trout streams and hiking trails in what they call “mountains” nearby. Superior is right there and way more scenic that Lake Michigan. Several decent size waterfalls on rivers feeding Superior. The upper peninsula is not as tourist-y. Door Co on LM is more tourist friendly and it shows.

And actually Pud123, you’d probably like that lake.

4. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Wisconsin and Michigan both nice. A great Michigan vacation would be upper 2/3rds because lower is awful.
    Traverse City, Mackinac Island, Sault saint Siberia, Taquanaman(sp?) falls, whitefish point etc.
    neat spot. Recommend it to anyone. Like going to Charleston SC. Everyone should go once.

waterswatter likes this.
  5. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the help. Now I can begin to research things.

6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Like many areas there can be weeks worth of things to do from one place.

Overall I have always prefer to stay away from the crowds
    Im have spent a lot of time on Superiors Minnesotas north shore,... So think of the UP and Wisconsin

Again there are small gems elong many parts of all the GL

waterswatter likes this.
  7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

North shore of Lake Superior is pretty sidghtseeing. Highway runs right along the “coast” and there’s lots of places to stop and look

waterswatter likes this.
  8. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Are you looking for one place to go or multiple stops ? Grand rapids Michigan, although a hipster city is a freakin good time. There is something like 100 breweries there. The food is awesome. The people are super friendly. If you go in the fall the salmon run on the grand river. In Wisconsin of course there is door county, which is alright. Milwaukee has alot in the way of food and drink and some fun things to do. Depending on which side of the great lakes you go on stopping through Downtown Chicago is actually pretty safe and there is alot to do and see.

waterswatter likes this.
  9. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

"CHICAGO (CBS) — Even with an additional 1,500 officers on the streets, Chicago still saw significant violence over the long holiday weekend, with at least 68 people shot, five of them fatally, since July 4th."

"--- Downtown Chicago is actually pretty safe ---"
    Not speaking for anyone else , but that's not my idea of pretty safe .

10. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Senior Refuge Member

95% of the bad stuff in Chicago happens after dark in the bad areas. It's a great place to visit. I would go for Wisconsin or Michigan if you're looking for that kind of trip, but you can't beat Chicago for the food and things to see.

JohnBZ likes this.