Great Mexico Hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by soiltester, Apr 25, 2016.

1. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Had a great time in Mexico and weather a tad bit nippy a couple of mornings.
    Had #1 on 4/13 in the afternoon and weighed 22.7# w/10" beard and no spurs :scratch Goulds 1.jpg

Birds # 2 & 3, in 1 shot the next morning w/biggest at 20.5" 9 1/2" beard and worn 3/4" spurs. 2nd was 17.1" 7 1/2" beard and no spurs again :l
    That's 5 Goulds now w/1 with spurs:scratch

Goulds 2.JPG

stevena198301 likes this.
  2. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

Got to be the best looking turkey of the slam,maybe someday.
    Good job,congrats.

Greg

3. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

That's some mighty fine stuff right there..... Enjoyed the pictures of something I don't get to see everyday...perhaps someday.

4. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

image.jpeg I was told that they wear their Spurs off due to the rocky terrain.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

That is my opinion as well. Have the same issue with Easterns in the N. Alabama foothills sometimes. Steep hills with big rocks. Have all your turkey been killed in the same area/proximity @soiltester?

6. soiltester

All were taken in the mountains in 2 different areas but this area was by far, a lot more rockier and steep ravines with flat top mountain areas, which made great for hunting!! In Goulds it is widely known, that a lot, don't even develop spurs, and as my luck would have it, 4 hadn't had any and the last one were definitely worn from rocks, which they said is very common and could've/should've been broken off!! :doh I hadn't experienced a no spurred or broken spurred tom until my 1st Goulds. Shoot, then I shoot a 2 yrs old Merriam in Nebraska, 3 years ago, that hadn't developed any spurs either:scratch
    That's my luck:joker:l

7. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

If he had no spurs, how do you know he was a 2 year old?

I've seen several spurless birds that didn't even have a pedicule. Looked like a hen's legs. Killed a bird last year that broke off a spur with the other one 1.5 inches.

I've been told by biologists spurless turkeys are usually genetic unless there is evidence of an injury.

8. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Congrats on the fine Goulds hunt!

9. soiltester

In all my years huntin', I've never seen a jake with a 7 1/2" beard, have you:scratch and pay attention to what your biologist said :tu

10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I killed a bird that was a good 7" + beard and 8" if I count the longest strand... Obvious uneven tail feathers, and I called him a jake...

I hear tell that the only way to tell a birds age for sure is to count the rings on the testicles though...

Soiltester, looks like you had a great hunt, and I am admittedly jealous... Great job on getting it done!