Great Mexico Hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by soiltester, Apr 25, 2016.

1. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

It had a full fan as did the 15#+, 2 year old I got the 1st trip. I took a smaller one 1st, just in case I didn't get another opportunity.
    This time I had waited for the bigger tom go get 5' ahead before I shot and the lil' bugger ran up as I pulledl the trigger :doh
    Buddy had the same thing happen on him and the smaller jakes head completely covered the shot pattern of the big tom as he was shooting at it!! They had 2 cameras filming and was he was shaking his head on that kill as the tom just flew away!!
    Definitely, was one of the best out of state hunts yet, and looking to be back again next year!!! Very good english spoken, which made communication a lot better than my 1st trip!!:tu

2. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

I still don't understand how you know it was a 2 year old, but I'm glad you had a good hunt. How do you know it wasn't a 7 year old bird?

3. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

You sound like you haven't turkey hunted much?

First year "jakes" usually have a "nub" of a beard only a couple of inches long at most. "Older birds" ie. three year olds or older, will usually have a 8.5"-10" beard. So given those parameters it would be a "likely guess" that the bird was a two year old given beard length as a indicator. Turkeys generally don't live to be more than 3-4 years old in the wild...so at 7 years old the bird would trip over his beard even if it walked backwards. Not a solid definitive science, however, it does give those who have been around the block a time or two some foundation for their speculation.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Soiltester, I am impressed that you can shoot so many birds on one trip. Do you pay for each individual bird or what?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  4. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

You're right, I haven't turkey hunted much. Just the last 28 years.

Everything you said above is wrong in so many ways I don't know where to begin. I've seen plenty of 2 year old birds with as much as 11 inch beards, and 2 year old birds generally sport some of the thickest beards you will see because they haven't been worn off or frozen off. Beard length has nothing to do with age, except for jakes, which can have as long as 6 inches of beard depending on when they were hatched.

And turkeys absolutely live longer than 3-4 years in the wild, and in fact, both banded turkeys I've killed were older than this, and neither sported an exceptionally long set of spurs or beard. My banded eastern was actually 6 years old when I shot it, with an underwhelming 1 1/4" set of spurs and a 9.5 inch beard. Also wasn't a mountain or desert bird where both the spurs and beard get worn down by the environment.

5. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

We had a deal made for additional toms, other than the one included with the hunt, if we had time. It turned out there were a whole lot of birds and my buddy had one flock come in with over 20 jakes in it, besides hens & toms!! Gonna make for fun times next year, even though I'll be looking for bigger toms like this year!!:tu That 3rd small one ended up a being "victum of circumstance":doh
    Then again, at 40 yds, maybe it was the # 4 steel shot & Mossburg "accu mag" tm lead shot only, choke in the gun :l Can't be choosy when they supply the guns & ammo and that's the best there is:no

6. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

Time is certainly and obviously no measure of quality....certainly you feel your personal experiences can be extrapolated as the rule. There are generalities and there are exceptions on both ends of the spectrum. Anyone who has been around the block a time or two with their eyes open can see for themselves what I said is "generally" observable. I was just trying to be helpful, I'm done with that now.

Everything I said was wrong....OK if you say so, have at it, you'll get no more disagreement out of me.

7. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Turkeys "can" live longer than 3-4 years but that is really a product of where they are located. Heavily pressured areas where I hunt you seldom see that old of a bird. I have killed a few but too many guys take jakes which makes a difference. Then with mountain lions after them all the time I'm surprised many of them survive at all out here.

I do agree that beard has nothing to do with age. I will say that multiple beard birds that I've killed are usually older birds. Beard rot is prevalent in many areas or so can a harsh environment be hard on beards.

We tend to look at the spurs as an indicator of age but even then if you are in rough terrain that is really hard to tell. A biologist can probably tell by the feathers, etc. but we usually just classify 2 year olds as a bird that is a bit bigger than a jake with a full fan. They generally are three year olds when the spurs get a bit longer but it is really hard to tell sometimes.

Kevin

8. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Full fan means the bird has molted at least once, hence a full fan male bird is 2 or older...

Spurs really mean nothing for age, a smooth leg is a genetic condition, nothing more or less...

I've never seen any data that rocks can wear a spur back to a smooth scale with no trace of a spur nub...

Broken spurs are a totally separate issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Mallia likes this.