googletag.cmd.push(function() {googletag.defineSlot('/22715214/refuge_ros_atf_728x90', [728, 90], 'div-gpt-ad-1434482053797-0').addService(googletag.pubads()); googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); googletag.enableServices(); });

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Great White Shark In Pamlico Sound

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by The Mad Duck, Dec 10, 2017.

1. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

A Small Great White Shark that has been tagged surfaced in the Pamlico Sound near SwanQuarter,earlier this week. He had been tagged with a transponder tag that pings whenever the transponder surfaces. The shark's name is Bruin. Bruin is 5 ft,5in and weighs around 100 lbs. Kinda freaky that he is that far west in the sound.

http://myfox8.com/2017/12/09/great-white-shark-surfaces-off-the-north-carolina-coast/

2. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Dang... might want to watch the retrievers when he's in the area, especially the Boykins who probably look like appetizers.

3. IrvingForbes

IrvingForbes Senior Refuge Member

The article did say the ping could be picked up twenty miles in any direction. Possibly in the Atlantic.

4. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

I knew we shot more birds the last time we were out there. The shark must have got them, that’s what I’m going with anyways.

Hardcore Waterfowler likes this.
  5. EastBound&Down

EastBound&Down Senior Refuge Member

Mary Lee did the same route just a few years back about the same time of the year. Pinged all the way in as far as the mouth of the Pamlico river. She was 16fter and 3k+
    About 2 years ago the coast guard have video from a helicopter of a grown white eating on a dead whale that the floating a few miles outside of Beaufort Inlet Atlantic beach. There was also video of a small white chewing on a chum bag this past spring during cobia season just off the beach near Beaufort inlet. A lot more sharks are out there than we are aware of.

6. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

One of my friends does shark research longline trips out of Oregon Inlet, he has caught a bunch of white sharks right back of the beach. There's a video on youtube of one eating a shark off his gear within a couple miles of the beach.

7. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

The population of sharks has exploded. Since it's not popular to kill them anymore. I heard a big white washed up in NC somewhere on the outer banks.

8. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

The one people were sharing pics of on facebook? If so, that was a photoshop pic that got everyone stirred up.

9. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

10. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

5 ft? Sounds more like a good white shark or maybe just a so so white shark to me