Greenhead Gear...I'm Done!!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by wescott2, Jan 18, 2010.

1. wescott2

wescott2 Senior Refuge Member

So I'm preparing for a highly anticipated duck hunt this morning. Most Cans and Bluebills I'd seen yet. As I'm tossing out the Greenhead Gear Canvasback and Bluebill decoys, I noticed that a couple that I had already tossed were drifting away with the wind and laying on their sides. I wondered, "what the h*ll?" I hop in my jon boat and paddle after them. When I finally catch up to them and pull them from the water, I see that the Snap-Lock Keels had removed them selves. The keels, lines and weights were now laying on the bottom of the dark unknown. From then on I had to carefully place each decoy, fearing that I may lose more keels and weights. When I returned home, I contacted Greenhead Gear and described the problem. I was advised that there was a one year warranty on the decoys and since mine were two years old, I was out of luck. I was then given the opportunity to buy more keels for $2 a piece plus shipping. I furiously refused. I will not pay to replace parts that I may lose again. I can't imagine that I am the first one that this has happened to. Has anyone else had this problem with poor design and advised that they were on their own? Greenheads Gear lost a customer today and I was just about to order 2 dozen more decoys.

2. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

Others have had the same problem. I have heard of folks using epoxy to affix the keels so that they never come off.

3. primeduck

primeduck Elite Refuge Member

When I buy mine, I put the keels on with some 2 part epoxy. Never had any come off yet.

4. Park Duck

Park Duck Banned

Hot glue my man

5. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 Elite Refuge Member

In my expereince the keels are really difficult to get on... and just as difficult to get off. When you put them on, you have to make sure they snap in tight. If I remember correctly, when you but them on, they will "pop" into place, but that isn't it. You have to push quite a bit harder for them to snap on.

6. HuMMer

HuMMer Senior Refuge Member

No big deal....just glued them. I have GHG from 6 years ago that have the Snap-Lok system and haven't had any come apart yet.

Seth-

7. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

I lost the keels off my GHG Goose floaters the same way. I replaced them with some old GHG duck keels and put a piece of duct tape across the bottom, just behind the keel, so that I can still remove the keels for field use. They were the LAST GHG decoys I have ever / will ever buy.

ncb

8. Bocephus1

Bocephus1 Senior Refuge Member

If you would've just bought G&H decoys from the start, you wouldn't be crying on an internet forum. You'd be hunting over decoys that work....for a long time.

9. wescott2

wescott2 Senior Refuge Member

Bocefus1, you're right about the G&H. Good idea about the epoxy on the keels when you first put them on guys, but one shouldn't need to worry with that when you buy a "high quality item." And yes, they all "snapped" when I initially installed them 2 years ago. Don't see why it would be an issue now. Greenhead Gear customer service could take a page out of Browning's book!!

10. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Elite Refuge Member

if they snapped once they will still come apart. they will snap twice and then ypu know they are in. never had that problem with mine befor