Ground Blind- Shoot through mesh?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by BangingBirds, Mar 29, 2016.

1. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

Has anyone actually tried shooting the mesh on the their blind as some state you can and yielded good results?

Thanks-Steve

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Never tried with a bow, but I have done it on several occasions with a 12 ga. Works well.

3. BangingBirds

great thanks- Was considering getting one for my wife's hunt this weekend.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

If you shoot through it, expect a hole big enough to stick a closed fist through, afterwards. We consider them "memories"... :l

5. BangingBirds

good problem to have:D:tu:D

6. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

Just remove the mesh. You don't need it. The black holes don't bother turkeys. Put the sun to your back, wear black from the waist up, and stay back in the blind. Just hunt them, the turkeys simply don't care and they won't see you.

schmidtty and Dan Mallia like this.
  7. BangingBirds

cool- thanks for the heads up. good info on the blackout. Personally, I have never hunted out of a blind. Always been a part of a tree on the ground. Just not sure how long the boss could take sitting on the ground:rolleyes: Trying to make it enjoyable for her:yes

8. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Yep. :tu:tu

9. schmidtty

schmidtty Senior Refuge Member

It's crazy/weird how good the blinds work on them. Still have the mesh attached to my double bull but never used it. I assume a shotgun would be fine but I wouldn't attempt arrows. Like mentioned previously, no need for the mesh... With turkeys at least... Blacktails, maybe a different story.

Good luck Steve!

10. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

The mesh was originally designed for arrows, not guns. Specifically fixed blade cut on contact broadheads, but others will work as well. Some mechanical heads can get caught up and open too soon from the mesh. The original Double Bull blinds came with instructions to NOT shoot a gun through the mesh. Honestly, the mesh sucks anyway. On sunny days it is tough to see out of and in general it prohibits a clear target picture.

Years ago before the mesh could be removed, I shot a hog in Texas with a fixed blade broadhead in an old BS-5 blind. Head zipped through the mesh like it wasn't there and killed the hog.

Since then I don't use the mesh in any of my blinds for any type of hunting. Guys used to say you had to use it for deer, but I have killed numerous deer at bow close with no mesh at all. The key is the setup.

But never use the mesh with turkeys. You simply don't need it.