Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

"Grounding" Snows

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by txgoosehunter10, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txgoosehunter10

txgoosehunter10 Elite Refuge Member

What's the big damn deal?!? So what if someone wants to crawl through a ditch and shoot these birds vs decoying them? Is it unethical? Immoral? Illegal? I'm just looking for some honest opinions on this. Thanks.

2. G.B. Jack

G.B. Jack Elite Refuge Member

nope, just not nearly as much fun!
    Like shooting quail or pheasanst or grouse on the ground. Or kissing your sister, gets the job done, but really aint that much fun!:l Its not a HUNT, but rather a SHOOT!

3. SkyCarp

SkyCarp Senior Refuge Member

To each his own I say. I think jump shooting Snows is pretty darn fun :tu

Is going on a guided hunt realy hunting, or is it just shooting?

Everyone has an opinion on how others hunt, but who's wrong? :scratch:no

4. DesertWings

DesertWings Elite Refuge Member

I too enjoy trying to pull them into a good decoy spread but an ocasional "jump shoot" can really test ones ability...my hat is off to someone who can crawl or sneek into range of 1000+ pairs of eyes watching for the slightest hint of trouble. Hunt versus shoot, why do you suppose that there is a special late season snow goose hunt with electric calls, no plugs in guns, no limits? It isn't so we can prolong our hunting experience rather the numbers of snow geese HAVE to be reduced.

5. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

Problem I have with "grounding" is on several occasions the following has been observed.
    Tresspassing - the group jumping had no permission to enter the land the birds were on.
    Busting the roost - guys jump the mother load which they never looked at as a roost under the philosophy of "the CO is to kill Snows at all cost". Costs the guys who spent the time to scout the patterns and who choose decoying the birds between the roost and feed fields hunting opportunities.
    Incidental take - have seen mallards, specks, and cacklers get taken when the shooting starts and the "grounders" get caught up in the excitment and don't see other non target species. The birds are left to lay - poor sportsmanship, illegal and immoral!
    Disrespect - several (NOT all) groupd I have seen don't give a rip about the guys trying to decoy and will disrupt there hunt.

Problem is not necessarily with the method of shooting snow geese, more with the demographics of the group of "hunters" who choose this method. :doh

6. Ilbucksndux

Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

I'm not an elietist.I enjoy both decoying snows and ground pounding them.Any one that says that sneeking up on them is just "shooting" has never done it.I guess that I'm on poth sides of the fence I enjoy a good head rake on the ground and I love seeing them sailing into the decoys.

7. GunNRun

GunNRun Senior Refuge Member

Lets see if I can get this straight:

1) Everybody who jumps snow geese is a tresspasser.

2) Everybody who jumps geese, jumps the so-called roost.

3) Only people who decoy geese scout, the rest of the jumpers just do
    whatever.

4) Only ground pounders shoot 'incidental' birds.

5) Only jumpers can't distinguish what's a snow or a speck or a duck in a
    flock.

6) Only jump shooters leave 'em laying in the field...never bothering to
    pick 'em up or shoot cripples or haul birds out.

7) Jumpers need to check with all decoying groups before gaoing afield with
    fear of 'DISRUPTING' your hunt.

8) Only decoying purists have the right to say what is right and what is
    wrong.

To say you are full of crap would be an understatement. You can no more speak for my group (or any other group) than we can of you. You obviously enjoy decoying geese - well so do we. But there are more times than not when the weather dictates what is or isn't going to be a good day for decoying.

Your generalizations are pathetic and unfounded. Nobody had rather decoy than us but we know when to do one or the other and the days we decide to decoy, we look forward to others jumping as so the birds are constatnly moving about. We don't criticize someone becasue of what they do as long as it's under the guidelines of the law. Your 'HOLIER THAN THOU' attitude is a slam on any and everyone who enjoys doing what they enjoy - not what you think everyone shoud do. There are more people in the world than your sorry arse.

Where do you come off criticizing any and every jumper because of the actions of a few? And for all I know, you might just be generalizing. Speak of facts, not what you see as justification for an aspect of the sport you dislike.

Ever tried crawling down an 18" deep ditch half full of water to just get close to a flock of 10,000 birds. It ain't easy and it sure ain't for everyone. Its harder than you could ever imagine and if you ain't fit, it'll be evident real quick.

I'm sick to death of people's opinions on whats right and whats wrong.

Matthew 7:1 Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged

8. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

The question is what is wrong with it!
    Reread the last line. Nothing wrong with the method, just maybe some of the people. NEVER ONCE did I use the word EVERYONE in my post, and NEVER once did I say jumpers were the only ones to take incidentals OR did I say decoyers are purists.
    So to answer you NO YOU DID NOT GET IT STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! :flame
    Learn how to read without adding text!!:amen

9. Gmann

Gmann Elite Refuge Member

ripline, you are correct, and those things you mentioned are what give ground pounders a bad name.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love fooling them into dropping in the spread, it's a rush like no other. But to say crawling them is not hunting does not make sense. By that logic, I suppose spotting and stalking other game, such as deer, hogs, bear, or whatever isn't hunting either. I mean, you are "sneaking" up on them and shooting them.

There are always going to be people who are the purist/elite hunters of a species and try to shove their personal beliefs down the throats of other who don't share those beliefs. There are always going to be people who abide by the laws and hunt within the guidelines set forth by those laws. And there are always going to be people who just don't give a damn and kill what they want, when they want, where they want.

However. . .

This doesn't sit well with me.

I choose to ground pound snow geese whenever the opportunity presents itself. So just what "demographic" do you place me in? Have you met me? Hunted with me? Know absolutely ANYTHING about me?

I'm not going to go into my life's history of hunting. But just because you may not agree with my LEGAL means of hunting, do not lump me in with some "demographic" group of hunters whom you don't care for because of their legal methods of hunting.

10. Gmann

Gmann Elite Refuge Member

Seeing how I read it the same way, without adding any text, ought to tell you something :yes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.