Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

"Grounding" Snows

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by txgoosehunter10, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Using the same logic, it's unethical to kill a healthy mallard. We should only be taking the old, worthless, and weak. I don't think we want to go there.

2. KENNEDY63

"Those Gov't folks in charge could just go up on the nesting ground and stomp every egg they find, and chase down, round up every molting goose they find and kill it...if things get TOO far out of control that maybe the next mode of action...but instead of that public black eye, they have handed over the responsibility of population control over to US, the hunters."

I don't know that that is any more of a potential black eye to hunters then a bunch of dudes mowing down hundreds of geese on the ground and killing the cripples with billy clubs. Imagine if that newsclip made the 5 o'clock news.

"They have liberated the laws with unplugged guns, e-callers, extended dates & times for BOTH forms of hunting/killing (whatever term works for you) to give US the tools to help THEM control the OVERpopulation of Snows."

I agree that the spring hunt should be more aptly named the spring kill.

"But if one was to STICK to his ethics he wouldn't use the e-callers nor the unplugged guns, cause after all due to 'collective ethics' those things have been outlawed, and even though they may be 'legal' during the conservation season, just because it's legal don't make it 'right'. Right?"

I agree. Just like spinners - just because it is legal don't make it right. However, I can clearly see where a number of folks who choose to decoy (or even those who choose not to kill snow geese in the spring) would be upset about the moral toll it takes on the hunting community to allow this. How soon before the lack of reg restrictions for snows become the norm in all of waterfowling?

"Within the rules of the game....all is fair in love & war....you ain't got to like it, but you HAVE to live with it."

But I can fight it.

I personally don't care either way. Jumpers keep the birds moving, the spring season is about killing. However, I can also clearly understand those who object.

3. KENNEDY63

It's funny watching the defensive side of folks on the intro-net.

If we're going to make assumptions, I'll guess that you've never snuck on a flock of snows in an Arkansas drainage ditch. If you had, you'd know that it is quite different then sneaking a bunch on open flat ground.

And yes, a guy could argue that calls, decoys, and blinds are unfair. But I don't see where there has been any great controversy on these tactics.

4. KENNEDY63

I agree to a point, but I'm guessing that you overestimate the number killed by those folks, and underestimate the effect that jump shooters have on moving geese out of areas where decoy hunters would kill more if the geese were left unmolested.

5. Decoy-em-in

Decoy-em-in Elite Refuge Member

It's funny watching the ethics police on the intro-net spew their ignorance. It's not like a guy from Kansas or SoDak can't sneak up the back side of a dam on a pond full of roosting geese.

I can take your ethics BS and feed right back to you. It's a not all black and white.

6. Decoy-em-in

Decoy-em-in Elite Refuge Member

Where is your proof? So now you've moved on from being the Chief of the ethics police to being the scientific monitor of the effectiveness of killing snow geese. Where do you find the time?

7. MALLARD MAGICIAN

MALLARD MAGICIAN Elite Refuge Member

Your kidding right? You think THAT is a fair comparison of a set of hunters sneaking up on free ranging, free FLYING geese in open country and shooting them during OPEN season to that of gov't officials or contracted workers chasing down/herding flightless birds (or even cute little baby birds) into a group and killing each & everyone with whatever method they saw fit? I don't think so.:no

and who in the hell was chasing down cripples & killing them with billy clubs? why in the hell would you do that? once chased down a quick neck wringing is alot easier then some damn club. Have you ever hunted?

8. KENNEDY63

"You think THAT is a fair comparison of a set of hunters sneaking up on free ranging, free FLYING geese in open country and shooting them during OPEN season to that of gov't officials or contracted workers chasing down/herding flightless birds (or even cute little baby birds) into a group and killing each & everyone with whatever method they saw fit?"

Did I say that? Nope. I basically stated put the videos on television and see what the reaction of the general non-hunting person is. If'n I recall, you stated that the gov't boys stomping eggs would be a pox on us. I'm just stating a comparison.

"and who in the hell was chasing down cripples & killing them with billy clubs? why in the hell would you do that? once chased down a quick neck wringing is alot easier then some damn club."

There are people on this thread who have probably used them to dispatch cripples. You can take that up with those guys.

"Have you ever hunted?"

Naw, but I stayed a a Holiday Inn Express last night.

But let's assume I haven't hunted.

What's your point?

9. KENNEDY63

So in spite of your earlier assertions that sneaking is the purist (sic) form of hunting, and is darn hard to do, you now imply that it ain't quite so hard when you use a dam to block your approach and you shoot the birds while they are sleeping?

Umm, OK.

10. KENNEDY63

To most folks, the use of the word "I'm guessing" would mean that I'm not relying on proof, just personal observations or anectdote.

Unbundle your undies, son.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.