Grouse opener/wolf encounter

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by poorshot, Sep 20, 2011.

1. poorshot

poorshot Guest

Minnesota opener was this weekend had some pretty good luck 5 grouse for 3 days hunting and I took it easy all hunt harder this weekend need to warm up my legs grouse numbers seem a little lower this year too. Sunday morning I finally seen my first Wolf close up and personal. I was walking down a gravel road me and my two dogs a 2.5 year old male German shorthair and 10 month old female shorthair walked it until it dead ended and then started back. On the way back my male who works both sides of any trail I'm on zipping around back and fourth comes out into the road about 45 yards in front of me and stops a couple seconds later what at first i thought was a deer because of how big it was jumps out into the road 10 feet from my dog, and in between me and my dog. Well It didn't take me long to see it wasn't a deer but a timber wolf. This beast was huge standing next to my dog it made him look like a ****zu, well i started getting real nervous thinking the beast was going to eat my dog I started yelling, it turned and seen me and jumped back into the woods, then I called my dog to me and he came but then the pup noticed the wolf jump into the woods so she started giving chase and I got her back and fired a round into the woods to scare it off. I made the dogs heel after that all the way back to the truck I still can't believe how big that wolf was he stood as tall as a 2 year old deer except with longer hair it had to be close to 200 lb my male shorthair is 55 lb and this thing was a giant next to him. From my males reaction to the wolf i think he must have seen them before because he ignored it, didn't growl at it or anything else. anyways be careful out there and if your going to visit MN and your dog likes to range out away from you 50-100 yards he may become a wolf snack.

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I keep a couple of rounds of buckshot and a couple slugs in my vest for just that occasion, load of number 8s won't do much and sidearm doesn't get you much range. Of course, doesn't do any good if your dogs get ambushed back in cove by them mangy sneaky *******s.

Glad it worked out ok.

3. MN/MTHunting

MN/MTHunting Elite Refuge Member

It's exciting to see your first wolf but it's getting to be way to common.

4. poorshot

poorshot Guest

If I see another and get a chance i will certainly shoot it, I think they are stalking hunters and their dogs last year down the same road I was walking back and right in the middle of the road was a giant scat pile you could see from a 100 yards off and it wasn't in the road an hour before when i was going the opposite direction. What I still can't believe was how big it was in person, not like those little wolves you see kevin Costner playing with in the Movies or on nature shows, this thing was massive. I think I need to buy a .357 or something for a sidearm.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Quite an exciting hunt there.:eek:

I have not heard of a hunter or bird dog being killed by a wolf in recent years. Has anyone heard of problems with wolves bothering hunters or dogs?

6. theswampthing

theswampthing Elite Refuge Member

Too bad you couldn't set up a trail cam or something. That would be cool to see.
    I wonder how many attack people or dogs, too. I'm sure it isn't like Jack London's novels or anything, but who knows?

7. Chessie Dad

Chessie Dad Senior Refuge Member

I spent enough years in Alaska to know what wolves are capable of but living in California I had two coyotes try to lure my chessie into a chase. These canines are pretty shrewd so be careful with your dogs.

8. Shredhead

Shredhead Senior Refuge Member

Squaller,

23 dogs attacked in MN in 2010 with 15 killed.

9. MN/MTHunting

MN/MTHunting Elite Refuge Member

Why do you suppose the wolf was there? He was hunting your dogs.

10. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Same place same time most likely.

I spend an awful lot of time running sled dogs in an area with lots of wolves. Never a problem and find them to be very shy critters.

I've only had the privilage to see a few of them and every encounter is very cool. If you really want an experience go out on a cool clear night and howl for them. They are easy to get to howl back and it is one of the most unforgetable sounds you'll ever here.