Grouse opener/wolf encounter

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by poorshot, Sep 20, 2011.

1. poorshot

poorshot Guest

I plan on killing the next one I have the priveledge to see stock my dogs. i will bet you $100.00 that within 5 years someone is killed or attacked by a wolf in Minnesota, I have been talking about my encounter with people I see at the different businesses I go to and there are allot of stories of deer hunters being stalked and forced off there deer, dogs killed, children stalked...

2. Cooper

Cooper Senior Refuge Member

I have a good friend who has run hounds in western Mt and ID for years. He sold the hounds that he had left last year after cat seaon. He lost 4 hounds to wolves last year and knew of 7 other hounds killed by them. I also know of 2 bird dogs killed by wolves. They have also taken pets out of peoples yards in MT. I now carry both a side arm and buckshot when out with the dogs.

Good hunting
    Cooper

3. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I'd like to take you up on that bet.

I think you need to expand your audeince beyond the bar stool expert crowd.

My sober experience with wolves have been much less dramatic than others apperently.

4. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

How many hounds killed by lions? bears?, hogs? cars? You turn a dog loose in the wilderness bad stuff can happen to it. It's the risk you take to play in the game.

5. Cooper

Cooper Senior Refuge Member

Yes you do loose a dog once in a while to a bear and once in a great while to a cat (no hogs here) but the differance is they run from the hounds not towards them. I hope that anouther hunting season will make them a little more gun shy. At this point they are showing little to no fear of people.

Cooper