Grouse score card

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by poorshot, Nov 16, 2011.

1. poorshot

poorshot Guest

The only time I have gotten my limit of grouse was with my 30-06 Deer Hunting:D

2. Decoyin Drake

Decoyin Drake Senior Refuge Member

last weekend in Nothern Murphy reared his ugly head. 10 flushes some dead trees , but no grouse in the vest:(

3. Decoyin Drake

Decoyin Drake Senior Refuge Member

last weekend in Nothern Michigan Murphy reared his ugly head. 10 flushes some dead trees , but no grouse in the vest:( Lots of fun though

4. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

Our ducks have all migrated and the leaves are off the trees so now it's time to go after some Ruffie's. In years when the numbers are up I will typically harvest anywhere from 50-75. Some years it is lower, some it is higher. Last year I only got out three weekends but still manged to take around 30.

Flushes? Here in Northern Ontario if you want them to flush you'd have to walk up and put your boot under their butts and kick them airborn. They don't even flush most times after you shoot one out of a flock, if they do they go up into a branch anywhere from 2-15 feet up and look at you. Same with a dog, I used to hunt them with my Lab years ago when I had one. He would flush them, they would just fly a few feet up into the nearest tree and sit there watching the dog. They wouldn't even see me. I swear I could put the gun barrel on their heads and pull the trigger while they stared at the dog.

Works for me, I like eating them so I could care less if they are flying or standing still. Lots of times us guy's up here just head shoot them with a 22 rifle.

Here is a pic from a morning's outing in 2008. We ended the morning with our 15 for the three of us, we saw 27 that morning.......there is 13 in the photo.

[​IMG]

Another morning a few years ago.....

[​IMG]

About 20 years ago when I had a dog....the two balck coloured ones on the right side of the tailgate are male Spruce Grouse

[​IMG]

And finally last fall with two of my buddies on an overnighter back in the bush. We shot 30 in 2 days..................

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Wow on the Canada grouse population and bag!

Black Betty is a GREAT looking dawg!

6. poorshot

poorshot Guest

Isn't she, going to be a great hunting dog (already is for her age) turns 1 year in a couple days been holding steady point on birds since she was 13weeks, does blind retrieves on ducks and she loves to fish too. http://willowcreekkennels.net/ This is the breeder where I purchased both my Dogs

7. poorshot

poorshot Guest

8. JMM

JMM Elite Refuge Member

I had the chance to hunt in the Emo area of Ontario and couldn't believe the birds. Never road hunted before and had a blast chasing the ruffed grouse. I got three one afternoon using my 12ga and some #8 shot. I did find the birds just a little bit spooky but still had a couple that were too slow.:yes If it was a little closer to Ohio I could hunt up there every year.

9. poorshot

poorshot Guest

Up to 19 Ruffies now got 2 Thanksgiving day and 3 today.

10. poorshot

poorshot Guest

Up to 23 now shot 4 today stopped hunting for the day so I can still shoot 3 Sunday for my possesion limit of 12[​IMG][/IMG]