GTR 35 or MB Black Death 4500???

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by buck_master_2001, Dec 19, 2013.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I realize one has reverse and try other doesn't. I have read that the reverse is next to useless in deep water. Thoughts? Performance wise how so they compare, loaded and empty? Any idea on how much it costs to get the stage 2 upgrade from GT? I like the linger handle and cleaner look in the mud buddy. I appreciate any opinions.

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

buck, there are so many variables! If I was fortunate enough to afford and shop for a shortail mud motor- I currently own a longtail which suffices- I would definitely make the trip, short or long, to test drive any motor in that price range. My MB longtail has been a fine hunting tool; recent reviews of MB products have been mixed to say the least- the newer V and H drives are expensive and there have been some glitches with them so I would say and wait on those. Unless you are in a hurry, I would look at all of them- GatorTail, ProDrive, MudBuddy, etc. One constant is the conditions you run in. What do other duck hunters use in your neck of the woods?

3. buck_master_2001

I will not be dealing with much mud. Mostly want a surface drive for dealing with heavy vegetation. It seems everyone around here runs mud buddy as there is not a gator tail dealer in the state. That is one thing that is making me leans towards mud buddy. I do not like the short handle on the gator tail either. It seems everyone is very happy with their 35 GTR's though. Mud Buddy seems to be hit or miss.

4. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

I have had three MB's and they have been great products. If your not a do it yourself kind of guy like me make sure your dealer has a good rep before you buy.

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^^ This

I've owned a few Mudbuddy Sport Hyperdrives and currently own a Prodrive. IMO stay away from the new Mudbuddy Hyperdrives with reverse until the kinks have been worked out. Sports have a long legacy of reliability, however. And I have been very pleased with my Prodrive, although it's not among the brands you mentioned you are considering.

6. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

The reverse works in deep water just like an outboard does. You do need to trim down a bit otherwise the wash hits the back of the transom, also the reverse plate helps a lot with directimg the flow down and under the hull. The handle although shorter does fold up all the way vertically, which is nice when fishing or hunting out of a blind. As far as performance in a stock configuration the GTR seems to hold it's own, it's all about drive ratios and prop design.

7. sho_freak11

sho_freak11 Elite Refuge Member

Im in the same situation as you, mostly shallow water and weeds. All I have had is mud buddy's, and they have treated me well. I currently have a 35 CDI sport, and love the thing. Works great for what I do. I also have a few buddies with gatortails and mud buddys. The gt's seem to run a lil faster loaded(1-2mph) and that could because I have a 1748, and they have 1850's. Honestly from what ive seen and experienced of the 2, it comes down to personal choice, and what you are more comfortable driving.

8. dukluky1

dukluky1 Senior Refuge Member

I've run a 35 GTR for the last 3 yrs and just replaced the prop this season. I love this thing. As far as reverse goes, in deep water trimmed down works well and makes picking up decoys easy, it does work better in mud though. My only complaint is I wish they would make it in fuel injection.

9. buck_master_2001

Do you think the short handle on the GTR will be a problem for boats with hunt decks? That is my concern. Also there is not a dealer for Gator Tail in my state, so I worry about that if I were to have to get work done it.

10. dukluky1

dukluky1 Senior Refuge Member

This is a picture of the rig I run. The boat is one I built myself and has the hunt deck. the short folding handle is perfect for the hunt decks.
    [​IMG]