Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Guide/Outfitter Question

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by tornadochaser, Jan 3, 2018.

1. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

If you had a hunt booked for this spring with a guide and found out that the guide was recently ticketed this fall for one or more hunting violations, would that change your opinion of the guide and cause you to book elsewhere?

hannibal likes this.
  2. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Change my opinion, not really. My opinions on most guides aren't very good anyway. To book elsewhere, possibly depending on what the violation was.

riverrat09 and GK1 like this.
  3. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 New Member

It would also depend if I could get my money back if I did decide to go with someone else. It would also depend on the violations. Everyone makes mistakes however if the violations were clear and deliberate then I might be looking elsewhere to hunt.

4. duckslayer1017

duckslayer1017 Refuge Member

It would also depend on if those violations are gonna continue to let that outfitter operate. If the chance is there that the person/persons running the service are gonna have their hunting rights taken away during the season, and you could be left stranded, I would probably search for someone else.

5. tornadochaser

Let's assume they are Lacey Act violations and the feds take forever to charge, as typically is the case with USFWS/US attorneys.

6. duckslayer1017

duckslayer1017 Refuge Member

I would still find someone else to hunt with. Just because I wouldn’t want to be associated with that outfitter in any way. Because as a client, all you do is show up and hunt. You don’t know if that outfitter is still doing the things that got them in trouble in the first place, or doing other things he shouldn’t. I wouldn’t want that risk if I’m paying for a hunt. There are plenty of other outfitters with open spots that will have a great spring.

7. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

If I could prove fact that he was charged or ticketed, I may just call the guy on it. Whats the deal with these charges and how does that effect my hunt come March? At that point I have the decision to pull out or hunker down.

8. tornadochaser

Charges from the feds take months to be filed. Then it's months before pleas or trials. So in the mean time, all you have is rumors and maybe reports of the initial bust. So in theory, guides that were busted this fall wouldn't see anything until the spring season was over. There's some interesting stories coming out of SD in regards to some busts, and I have friends that had booked 3 days with somebody who may or may not have been involved. My own personal opinions aside, I like to see what others think of situations like this. I'm sure opinions will range from "all guides are slime" to "as long as the guy gets me on birds he can be an ax-murderer in his spare time."

9. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Help the guide out, he's gonna need the money to pay his fines. :D

10. duck stopper

duck stopper Elite Refuge Member

I guess it would depend on the violations. Failure to separate dead birds is different than baiting or wantonly shooting more than a limit. Get the facts first before making a final decision. You may not be able to get your deposit back depending on the terms you agreed on when you signed up for the hunt.

Good luck.