Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

guide question ND or SD

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by 2point, Mar 7, 2018.

1. 2point

2point Senior Refuge Member

I have a bad case of spring fever and waterfowl hunting withdrawals. I am a teacher in western Montana and I am off 3-24 to 4-1 for spring break. I know it is very late planning on my part but I am thinking of a trip to ND or SD for a 3 day snow goose hunt.

Could somebody recommend a good guide that may take a single hunter and put me in with other hunters to fill up a field? I have been on the internet looking and some guides you call aren’t even guiding any more. I have heard some are very poor quality. I don’t want to hear about them only good ones. If I get lucky to find a spot on short notice, I would hope it is a good honest outfit that can put me on some birds and a fun experience. I know it is hunting and no guarantees. Any info on guides would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Luv2Decoy

Luv2Decoy Senior Refuge Member

You will be able to get a good hunt then, probably be able to bang the juvies hard. I have had dealings with Tracy Northup and he was a straight shooter. I did not hunt with him though.

Good Luck

3. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Last time I looked at a guided hunt I was thinking of booking with top gun

4. Decoyin Drake

Decoyin Drake Senior Refuge Member

Dan Hogfoss at goose hog

5. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

Goosehog!!! Hunted with him for 12 years for a reason!! I like my money and spend it wisely. That is who I would go with. PM for any questions. WIth the weather, the later the better in my mind.

6. Mallard Krazy

Mallard Krazy Senior Refuge Member

Give Neu Outdoors a call. Great group of people to hunt with in SD.

7. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

You should be OK for SD for those dates, but just in case, you might want to book with an outfitter who operates in both states. Most outfitters stop at the ND border as they do not want to go through the process to guide in ND.

8. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

You shouldn't have a problem finding a guide service here in South Dakota, theres over 50 of them. If I was traveling to hunt from Montana I would look up Eaglehead Outdoors and Dirty Bird Outfitters(also guides in ND) first and then move onto others if they are full. Both those guys seem to consistently do the best. If booking with someone else I would ask for multiple references and feel them out to make sure they aren't the guides buddies he put down as references. There is a lot of shenanigans that take place with the less than reputable guides that show up here.

9. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Best guide that had experience has retired. Had a horrible experience with Eaglehead in SD. Wouldn’t recommend them but like Juvie said get references. Unfortunately that’s not a guarantee because a shister isn’t going to give you the names of the unhappy ones.

10. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Whoever you go with, it's gonna be awhile. Herein the SE part of the state is buried under 6-12 inches of very heavy snow. I think you would be very lucky to even get off the roads in the next two weeks. Those geese aren't going anywhere till the snow goes. And, I'll bet it's worse the farther north you go.