Guided Deer Hunt (Maine, VT or maybe NH?)

Discussion in 'New England Flyway Forum' started by num70, Jan 17, 2017.

1. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

So...For the past number of years I've just been going back to where i grew up, which has the smallest subspecies of whitetail around. I kill a deer most every year but a "big" deer is 120 lbs.

I'd like to do a guided hunt for big, northern deer.
    I'd like to bring my 10 yo with me.
    (He won't be deer hunting next year, but wants to go.)

Does anyone know of any operation that has:
    - A reasonably high success rate.
    - A guided or semi-guided situation that could work with a 10 yo tag-along.
    - Decent lodging and food (we call my son "the termite" for a reason).

Any ideas, recommendations are much appreciated.
    Thanks very much.

2. seaduckhunt

seaduckhunt Elite Refuge Member

You willing to go to Texas? If so, I know a place that you will see 100 deer every day, their cull's are our trophy deer... if so I have just the place.

3. num70

I appreciate the response. Maybe when the boy's a little older we'll do something like that.

Thinking that if I had to travel I'd go to Saskatchewan or something. I grew up hunting deer in the cold, winter weather. I don't think my son's going to experience that. Not at this rate anyway. But at least he can maybe do a fall/winter, New England deer hunt.

Thanks again for chiming in.

4. tgs

tgs Senior Refuge Member

5. num70

Thank you very much for the response. i will check these out.
    I've brought my son deer hunting for a few years now, and he still hunts with me. That's how I like to hunt. Deer drives and still hunting. But I suspect that with these places they'd want us in a stand. So whatever works for the outfitter would work for me.

reasonably high success rate? I have no idea really. If I spend a few days I'd like to see a few bucks. I don't really give a hoot for horns anymore. And i don't see myself passing up shots on much of any deer (unless the outfitter has rules). Not looking for any 170s or anything. Just seeing a few big woods deer would be great.

Thanks again for your input.

6. tgs

tgs Senior Refuge Member

This is the buck I shot last year in southern Maine. 145lbs. Hunted 7-8 more days as I had a doe tag but never saw another buck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mr.Bones likes this.
  7. Mike the fox

Mike the fox New Member

I used to guide deer hunters for an outfitter in Maine. He always told his hunters up front that we had a 15-20% success rate and if you saw a buck during the 5 day hunt that you probably shouldn't pass on it. Hunting in Maine is not easy and we don't have a huge population of deer. That being said, if you're a good hunter you could have the opportunity to shoot the deer of a lifetime

8. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Ever consider bear with your son? Weather is nice, it's a relatively easy hunt, not to bad on the wallet and success is pretty good. Seeing a bear is pretty exciting for a young person and not as common as seeing a deer so it's special that way as well. Was "talked" into this past year and after being one of the most memorable times ever - glad my doubts didn't persuade me!
    Just a thought

9. num70

I have thought about it. I'd have to do a little more homework though. I'm not criticizing anyone or looking down my nose at all, I just don't know if I'm up for hunting over bait like that. Perfectly legal and I'm glad it is. I'm just not sure it's right for me.

It's a good thought and I will look into it more in earnest. If there's an outfitter you'd recommend, please feel free. Thanks.

10. num70

Sounds like a good, honest outfitter. Setting the expectations.