Guides Licensing

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by waterfowlhunter27, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Mallets

Mallets Elite Refuge Member

5K is not nearly enough...50K is a good starting point! Then lets collect taxes on all the income the guides bring in.....just like the electricians have to pay! If the end user ends up seeing an increase in prices...GOOD!

I have no issues with guides/outfitters as long as it is run like a business>>>BUY LAND develop it...BUY Insurance...Buy Decoys...Buy trucks...Buy your boats....Build and/or Buy a lodge...Lease land legally and pay the farmers a fair price...Lease a lake and hunt it...Pay your guides a fair wage... But don't rape PUBLIC land to pay for your hobby!

Guiding on public land has been outlawed! Now lets go to work on guiding on public waters for fishing! This would include any and all waters in the State!

Waterfowler27...What other states require a license or permit to guide?

I know Missouri has gotten very strict on fish guides!

There is a reason why these guides have settled in Kansas....Lets change that! See you at the next commission meeting!

Neck Collar likes this.
  2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Colorado requires a license for all outfitters, not the guides that work for them. We require liability insurance and first aid/cpr training.

3. waterfowlhunter27

waterfowlhunter27 Refuge Member

I dont hunt the marshes. I hunt all private ground. North Dakota and South Dakota both have Guides licensing. In north Dakota you cant be a guide until youve hunted in ND for 3 years aka bought a hunting license. Then you have to take a test and get cpr certified every year and pay about 450 bucks per year. Not sure what the actual outfitter has to do.

4. twells

twells Senior Refuge Member

5. Mallets

Mallets Elite Refuge Member

Actually lets revisit it from the 2014-2015 threads...Much better outcome!

6. sylvanwilson

sylvanwilson Senior Refuge Member

Was chatting with a waterfowl guide in TX the other day. They have an interesting scenario.
    1st there is a guide license with the appropriate training/test etc. (I didn't ask questions on what this license and fee is)..but, pretty standard in most states.
    But in TX something that has been added in the last year or two as I understand it, before the guide can legally bring his party onto a location he must register with TX parks and wildlife with his location that day with Exact land legal description range/township etc he will be hunting that day. With all the shady activity that certain guides do, it allows the COs know exactly where these guys are taking their party for that day. If CO sees a guide out in the field and he has not registered....they guide is written up. At a certain point if that continues the guide loses his ability to guide. Guide must do this daily registration on PRIVATE ground each day he takes a party. This is a deterrent to illegal activity because at anytime CO drives right to guide location and scopes things out. If said guide know this can happen less chance of funny business.
    Hell if we KS hunters have to do the I-sportsman on public....this would be a great way to keep tabs on these guides.

The other part. Of this registration that is "ICING ON THE CAKE" and KS should seriously consider....when the guide registers daily...he pays TX parks and wildlife an additional "guide" fee of $250 with his daily party hunt registration! This is over and above his lease fees to the landowner.
    This scenario if implemented could bring KDWPT some serious income.

I love this scenario....what do you guys think?

7. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

All that will do is make them say they are friends hunting with friends for 250 a day the co has to prove otherwise before tix can be issued i am not a lawyer but thats way to much in my opinion maybe so much per gun would be more reasonable could end up more with huge parties

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Unfortunately, that is the easy way for ALL guides to avoid any controls....on any place/any ground. Controlling guiding on private or public requires truthfulness/honesty from the guides, which is why we still have a few law-breakers operating in our state.

ED Vanderbeck and Neck Collar like this.
  9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Would not take but one instance of the IRS Enforcement Division to do a check (lifestyle audit, etc.) to see if reportable income is being squirreled away in such a fashion. Tax evasion is a felony and can get you a vacation at the bed-n-breakfast in Leavenworth. CO asks the "friends" if they are paying their "friend" any money and how much while advising them that accessory to tax evasion is also a felony. That's along the lines of how a Kansas-based guide was busted in Oklahoma for taking "clients" onto property he didn't have permission. CO was told by the pilgrims that the guide told them he had the place leased. Got him for taking money under false pretenses, also a felony. Aiding and abetting tax evasion (by the "friends") in avoiding the guiding scenario is an unintended consequence many so-called guides may not have fully thought through beforehand.

10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Also, agreeing beforehand to the "friends" M.O. is legally defined as conspiracy, also a felony. If the guys think it through they probably would deign to participate as the be careful what you wish for karma bug just might bite them in the arse.

Neck Collar likes this.