Gulf Shores fishing with kids

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Sean Peeples, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Sean Peeples

Sean Peeples Senior Refuge Member

I know questions similar to this come up every year, but I am needing some help. I have a 4 year old son that I would like to take fishing when we go to the beach later this summer. I am wanting him to have a good time and hopefully catch something (don't really care what). Do ya'll have any suggestions on a guide? I am thinking either a head boat or possibly doing an inshore/bay type trip but am open to suggestions. Just don't want to have to give the little guy up to be able to afford it. Thanks in advance.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Go down to Zekes Harbor. Many a charter down there.

3. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

I've seen a lot of sick kids on charter and party boats. I would stick to in-shore/bay trips if it were me.

If he is anything like my yard ape he will get a kick out of going fast in the boat.

4. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Gulf State Pier, dead shrimp in surf, ground mullet all day (good eatin too)

5. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Inshore 1/2 day. Call Jeff Chambless at Orange Beach Marina. Great guy. Known him 20 years. Ask him to take you out with him to trawl for the bait. The kids luv it.

6. blake_mhoona

blake_mhoona Elite Refuge Member

Jay Gunn with Jay Hook inshore http://www.gulfshoresinshore.com/

went with him in May and going back in August. great guy. duck hunts in the off season and is a member here. will put you on the fish no matter where they are

bill cooksey likes this.
  7. cast&blast

cast&blast Senior Refuge Member

Good info given. Also if your staying the water get a cheap crab trap and a couple chicken legs and let the little guy catch some crabs. Lots of fun for the little ones, just don't let him try and handle any.........they really do have a crabby attitude. Hope you have a great trip.

8. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Jeff Chambliss has been living in OB, AL and guiding for oh about 25+ years.

9. duck recruiter

duck recruiter Senior Refuge Member

I agree with what was said. 4yrs is too young for a deep sea trip. I have also seen some really sick kids under 10yrs on big group boats. In-shore is the ticket.

10. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

X3 on the offshore trip....a 4 yrs old kid needs about a 2 hr trip max on calm water. He'd have as much fun catching bait as fish, along with playing in the boat. Keep it short, simple and fun. Best case is he cries when you have to quit....he'll always remember that & will beg to go back. Before you know it, he'll be taking YOU on those offshore trips!!