Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Gulf Shores

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by techfowl, Jun 27, 2013.

1. techfowl

techfowl Elite Refuge Member

Heading to Gulf Shores for family vacation, was hoping to get some info on good eats, stuff to do with the family, fishing etc. Any info would be much appreciated.

2. b-duckin

b-duckin Senior Refuge Member

Go to the hangout it is a pretty cool place for them family

3. baileydog

baileydog Elite Refuge Member

Fort Morgan. Ride the Ferry to Mobile.

If you want to get crazy go to the Flora/Bama a bar that sits on the FLA/AL border.

Lulu's is good and a land mark.

Lots of good restaurants.

Eat some local red snapper and Shrimp. You can go buy them at the dock.

4. nailbender

nailbender Refuge Member

Pink Pony has seen more hurricanes than any place on the beach!! Rumrunners and 2 dozen raw- YUM YUM :yes

Hazel's for breakfast

Several waterparks if you have kids and a new Zipline at the State Park's Lake Shelby.

Fishing on the public pier or charter boats. There is a Skeet range in Robertsdale.

lots to do and great food.

enjoy

5. MARSH_HUNTR

MARSH_HUNTR Elite Refuge Member

gulf shores steamer (the original, not the new one), the shrimp basket and flippers are all good places to eat.......go to the state park pier to fish

6. techfowl

Thanks fellows, made it down yesterday, staying at The Lighthouse. I will definitely try some of your recommendations.
    I brought some heavier tackle, gonna try the pier with my son. I guess fresh shrimp would be a suitable bait? Any other suggestions? I'll try to talk with some of the locals for info. Thanks again!

7. techfowl

Well it's raining here today but the weather has been great all week. We've had a lot of fun and some good eats. The Oyster House was fantastic, great food, great service and large portions. The Hangout was a blast, they had a band there called Misused that played music from the 80's and 90's. The wife and I actually left the kids with the in-laws and went back to watch the end of their show. We had breakfast at Hazel's, their buffet is killer. We hit The Track one night for go carts and rides, The Woody track is pretty cool, I showed the boy how to get inside on a turn and spin-out the cart in front.
    We went to The Naval Air Museum which was amazing, my son and I did the simulator and we also watched the "The Magic of Flight" in the IMAX theater there, very cool!
    I fished off the pier a couple of mornings early, broke off on a big bull red as a school came through. I backed off the rail and counted 15 people that were hooked up from that school of reds. I saw Reds, Jack Cravells, Kings and sharks get caught. I learned a little and have a better idea of what tackle to bring next time.
    I would highly recommend Gulf Shores to anyone for a family vacation, lots to see and do, nice beaches, friendly people, not to mention beautiful women everywhere!
    Thanks again fellas, oh and one other thing, Roll Tide!

8. baileydog

baileydog Elite Refuge Member

I am headed that way soon. Glad you had fun.

Come to Alabama for the Indy Race at Barbers Race track. It is not Indy but a great track.

9. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I'll be down starting tomorrow, also. Always nice to visit some of the old stomping grounds. Any good inshore guides/charters going in the area these days?:)

10. MobileMike

MobileMike Senior Refuge Member

Give Alabama Inshore Charters a shout. Capt. Bobby McElroy does a lot of fishing around the gas rigs in Mobile Bay...
    251-533-7957