gun and dog for opening day

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by mushfoot, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

starts tommorrow at our club......browning sxs... YFL and BFL.....we will be sweeping the fields like a vacumn cleaner..... ha ha ha......bob

2. Dead Eye Duck

Dead Eye Duck Refuge Member

Browning BPS or Reminton 1100 and my one year old yellow lab, Valkyrie

3. Grousehunter

Grousehunter Guest

Matt - How far is Pine Island from Lakeville ? My brother lives there. I have been trying to talk him into a PL (he's a traditional flushing Lab guy) but he has never seen one work.

4. dixidawg

dixidawg Senior Refuge Member

Grousehunter,

I too have always been a traditional lab guy, but these Pointing labs have me curious, and might consider one for my next dog. Where did you get yours? Had you ever hunted over one before you got him? I'd love to see one work some time. If you ever want to have someone tag along some time, PM me. And good luck tomorrow!! I'll be out all day, or until I limit out...

Bob

5. pitt_md

pitt_md Senior Refuge Member

GrouseHunter,

Pine Island is about 45 minutes from Lakeville. There is a guy that lives up in that neck of the woods with a PL. His name is Josh Keck. We did some training together this last weekend. His dog is a real nice yellow PL that came from Sauk River Kennels. He is on the pointing lab forum from time to time.

6. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

grouse hunter.... I have an old brittany.... who pointed great so I know whats its like to have a pointer.....now my hunters are a mother and daughter lab team.... the mother points now and then... I love it.....every year I volunteer my dogs to work the junior pheasant hunt in our area.....kids under 16 get to hunt three planted pheasnts( and any previously not shot) for about an hour each. Gys like me bring their dogs to make sure the kids gets a good taste of upland hunting and gets a chance to shoot.....at these hunt, my older feamale has gotten used to sniffing the crates of pheasants, but not be able to get any... so she stays steady...... and just wiffsin that good smell..... sure enough when its our turn she will point almost every bird that day.......... she occassionally does it when we hunt other places.... and i like it........a pointing lab.. THAT STILL DOES great waterfowl retrieves has got to be the ultimate dog for a guy who like to hunt as much as I do for what ever is in season(90% waterfowl)......I wish I could manipulate her tallents into something reliable..........I would be affraid she may point a bird on a blind retrieve though........ which would kill me in a hunt test...........bob

7. Grousehunter

Grousehunter Guest

Thanks Matt, I'll have my brother put out a hail call to him

8. Grousehunter

Grousehunter Guest

Dixidawg - I got my pup from Chocolabs in Utica, Kansas, check out www.chocolabs.net. I hunted over both of his parents before making my pick this past March. Larry raises and releases Chukars and Pheasants on his land which makes this real easy. My pup pointed his first Ruffed Grouse covey the other day. Locked up solid in a classic 3 point stance for about 2 minutes. Kicked up 3 from a small pine grove. Yeeha ! Also check out www.pointinglabs.com and www.theapla.com. There are a lot of very good Pointing Lab breeders out there. I'll keep your info handy and contact you so we can get together. Good luck to you too tomorrow. I HOPE I'll limit out :)

Bob Johnson - go to Cabelas online and order "The Pointing Lab" by Paul and Julie Knutson. It is considered the bible among the PL folks. It will give you some insight into these great dogs. Check out the web site above as well. A lot of PL people use their dogs upland, waterfowling AND in hunt tests, very successfully.
    Sounds like a great event you are involved in ! Get the kids interested and keep them that way ! :)

9. strubedog

strubedog Elite Refuge Member

Beretta Ultralight O/U
    Flushing YLM

I too will make my next dog a PL.

10. Swampcollie

Swampcollie Elite Refuge Member

Franchi 620 and my pair of Golden Retrievers Mindy and Maxi. They will sweep a field clean of birds.