gun and dog for opening day

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by mushfoot, Sep 23, 2003.

1. dixidawg

dixidawg Senior Refuge Member

Grousehunter,

Would you say the trip to Errol is worth it? A friend of mine is thinking of heading up for the weekend, and was wondering if there were enough birds to make it worth while....

Pheasants have been great in the southern part of the state....limited out early the 3 times we've been out....

Bob

2. Grousehunter

Grousehunter Guest

Mushfoot - still too much work to do on casting drills and blinds to take him duck hunting yet. Maybe next year. At 8 months he is still a little out of control in the upland (takes 2-3 calls to come, still needs a wkack on the butt once in a while to sit , etc.) We work on this stuff during the week and hunt pheasants and grouse on weekends. That takes up all available time

3. Grousehunter

Grousehunter Guest

Dixidawg - I have been hunting the 13 Mile Woods area of Errol for 25 years so its more of a tradition for our group to go there. We have been able to learn, over time, where we can consistently find birds but its a BIG area. If you don't have someone to point out the good spots you can get frustrated real fast. The place is laced with logging roads so its easy to get turned around. On the other hand, if your buddy in into exploring a new area, he will find some birds in the usual habitat If he still wants to go, PM me and I will give some pointers on specific locations. BTW, unless he's camping there are only a couple of places to stay so make reservations early.

4. BlazeLab

BlazeLab Senior Refuge Member

beretta and lab