Gun Dogs

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Gone Doggin, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

I hunt 2 Springers,my female is a field trial dog & is a pheasant's worst nightmare!

2. E-lim-n-8-er

E-lim-n-8-er Senior Refuge Member

I have a pointer, and an english setter that we think is retarded. seriously

3. When doing our version of your upland hunting (we call it rough shooting) we generally use a pair of dogs. The preferred combination is a spaniel hunting and flushing and retriever walking at heel to retrieve shot game.

I thought you may like to se my combination of spaniel and Labrador.

For more information on hunting this side of the Atlantic just log onto my website at http://www.irishfieldsports.com

Nimrod

4. JokersWild

JokersWild Guest

I have been hunting both Waterfowl and Upland for a few years now. Have a 15 month old Male Vizsla, truely makes the sport of upland hunting almost to easy. Duck hunting is a whole different ball of wax. He didn't take to the water until almost 13 months old, now he is as strong a swimmer as any lab.

Question for short hair dog owners (GSP, Vizsla, etc..). Ever have a problem with sever weather conditions hunting with a short haired dog? I purchased a neprene dog vest and it seems to be highly recommended, any thoughts?

5. Wingstopper

Wingstopper Senior Refuge Member

I have a 6 yr old Vizsla ,Rex. He is excellent, actually just used him as a stud. The breeder called last night and within an hour of being with a female he sealed the deal(his first time). Anyways to answer your question we also used a neoprene jacket which helped, but Vizslas cannot and should not be in very cold water for very long. We hunt in ND( which can get cold fast), and use him for grouse, partridge, doves, pheasant, and waterfowl. At least until is starts getting to cold. Even with a jacket they should no be exposed to cold water for very long, or they could get very sick and even die, it is different if you are upland hunting and the dog is moving and producing heat, but if he is just sitting in water waiting to retrieve he will get too cold and fast.. So be carefull and watch the dog closely. Always have a couple of towels on hand to dry them off quickly. Once it gets really cold it is better to keep the dog at home rather than possible get him sick or worse. Good luck with your dog, they are the BEST pointers around. After having one Vizsla I will never buy another breed of dog.:D

6. PHEASANT DOG

PHEASANT DOG Senior Refuge Member

I've got two great labs. believe it or not but they would rather hunt pheasants than ducks.

7. sacha szymczak

sacha szymczak Elite Refuge Member

JokersWild,

I seccond the response you got from wingstopper.Although pointers are a good combination of all that is needed for bird hunting, they cannot, and should not, be subjected to the cold without being able to run and generate body heat.I use my male GSP for ducks in the early season,but when the needle drops he stays home!I have a neoprean vest for both my dogs,but it just is not enough to keep them comfortable for constant water retrieves and stagnent time in the blind.
    Although many people say that their dogs "shiver" with excitement, I am a true believer that dogs "shiver" for only one reason, THEIR COLD!!!;)

8. check171

check171 Elite Refuge Member

i hunt with my 2 labs gotta love a flushing dog..........:D :sp