Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Gun license/card

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Mean Gene, May 25, 2016.

  1. Mean Gene

    Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

    Oct 26, 2000
    NE South Dakota
    Can you guys please explain to me how your card/license thing works? Do you consider it a good system or not? Thanks.
  2. DU4life

    DU4life Senior Refuge Member

    Oct 8, 2013
    What card u talking about? The one u register with homeland security?
  3. bang you'r dead

    bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

    Apr 9, 2003
    The Pas Manitoba
    It is required for any gun ownership, or for the purchase of firearms or ammunition, so like it or not, we have to have one. Gun registration was abolished. The good points about the PAL license is that you can walk into any gun shop, purchase a firearm, and walk out with it immediately. No waiting period. I have purchased guns over internet and had them shipped directly to me, with no FFL license needed , or additional costs for shipping. When I sell a firearm, I ask to see the PAL of the buyer, ensuring that he has the the legal right to own a firearm. To obtain a card, you must take a course and/or pass a written and practical test on the use and storage of firearms. This also ensures that anyone who owns a gun in Canada knows proper gun handling and safety. The course is not interchangeable with a hunter's safety course. Here is the manual , and the test may cover anything within it.

    The bad is the $50 fee every five years, but that is tolerable.
  4. gdluck

    gdluck Elite Refuge Member

    Oct 29, 2002
    detroit metro, Mi
    The PAL is worth it if you hunt or shoot in canada regularly. speeds up boarder crossing by ALOT. I hand them passport and PAL, they say have nice trip and i'm out. without the PAL you have to go into office to complete paperwork. Since they are doing that they might as well make you pay duty on your over limit of shells too.
    It's $50-60CAN so really 35-40 for the application, then you gotta pay the person to administer the test $30-90CAN. then a letter from your local police $10.
  5. Greenhead14

    Greenhead14 New Member

    Dec 21, 2015
    The course takes 1 day to complete, then you have a 'cool down period' where you have to wait 6 months (or around that) to receive your license. The whole idea behind that is if you're mad at someone and are buying a gun to murder them, after 6 months you will (hopefully) realize it's a bad idea. There is a written and practical test you must pass. The practical is simple unloading of a shotgun and rifle, checking the barrel is free of obstructions, crossing a fence with a gun etc. This permits you to buy non-restricted long guns. Now if you want to own a handgun or other restricted firearms you have to take another 1 day course and can only use the restricted weapon at a range.
    As bang you'r dead said, the good thing about this system is you can walk into the store buy guns and ammo and walk out, there's no waiting. Also the course I believe is a good thing. I learned more than I would about firearms safety in a day than I probably would have in a year on my own. This helps to prevent deaths and injuries while hunting and promotes proper firearms use.

Share This Page