Gun ownership/Great Britain-Australia

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by Kenducky, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Kenducky

Kenducky Senior Refuge Member

What is the law on gun ownership and possession in these 2 countries......my perception is that all gun ownership in Australia is prohibited, right??...does any LEGAL hunting take place in Australia??.... and Great Britain....are semi-automatic shotguns legal in any situation? Thanks!

On a recent trip to Great Britain I spoke with a man from Australia who said the Australian gun laws had made no difference in crime......no surprise.

2. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

No short answer, but here goes:

Great Britain. No pistols, no autoloading anything. Very strict licensing and storage restrictions on everything. Absolutely no right of gun ownership.

Australia. Much the same.

Hunting. There is bird hunting in GB, and some big and small game. In Australia duck hunting is not allowed in some state (provinces?), lots of other hunting.

3. Kenducky

Kenducky Senior Refuge Member

Thanks David.....just as I thought in GB......... apparently some gun privileges and hunting does exist in Australia.

Sad that they have gun "privileges" and not gun "rights" :(

Let's hope it never gets to that point in the US.

4. The Croc

The Croc Senior Refuge Member

A bit late on this but as David says no Pistols, we have semi auto shotguns and semi auto 22 rimfire but nothing larger.

I know its a technicality but anyone can own a Shotgun (serious mental health problems and violent criminal record notwithstanding) the police have to have good reason not to grant a licence. A Firearm on the other hand, You have to show good reason for wanting one. ( Hunting, Target, etc.)

Hunting you have to show written permission on land for the calibres wanted
    Targets Club Membership required

Not as easy as you boys have it but were still Hunting and Shooting over here
    Iv'e just renewed my Shotgun licence, and I'm thinking about a firearms Licence. And training a new Gundog

Brian

5. The Other David

Brian,

If you ever get the opportunity to come this way please get in contact! I am sure I can show you a good time if you are coming to the Washington, DC area, and arrange for one if you are visiting some where else.

David

6. The Croc

The Croc Senior Refuge Member

David
    I will do that, thank you, we're hoping (a definate maybe) to have a holiday in the US sometime next year, I would prefer the winter months:yes , but for some reason which I can't understand the idea did'nt meet with a great deal of enthusiasum:fp

Do you ever get my way?

Brian

sorry for the late reply but we, (son and myself) have been snowed under with work,

7. The Other David

Brian,

Other than 48 hours stuck at Heathrow, I have never been to the Mother Country!

Here's a suggestion or two (at least they appeal to me): Cape Hatteras, North Carolina; Wrightsville Beach and Wilmington, NC.

Other neat places I have been: Key West, FL; San Antonio, TX... too many to list! What does your family like to do?

I live near Our Nation's Capital.

David