Shooting and Reloading Forum Sponsors

Gun safe...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by olepal, Jan 10, 2017.

1. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

Looking for suggestions. I want a gun safe that is at least the 72" tall variety. At least 32 gun capacity (not that I have 32 guns mind you). New or used, matters not to me.
    Any thoughts on where and what brand? Looking to stay near $1000.00

olepal

2. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

One thing I'll add to what I post below is that an event last year that happened solely by chance got me thinking on the utility of a 'decoy' safe/box/cabinet etc and I think it makes a lot of sense. Let's just say some bums did not get away with that they thought they were getting away with but were quite likely distracted from doing better by thinking they were scoring and by the necessity of being in a hurry ....something to think about.

Scared of getting caught/detected, grab what they can, alarm is blaring etc, in my mind can make a 'decoy' make a lot of sense. I should've implemented such at home but just like getting an adequate safe, I admittedly have yet to do so.

Anyway....

3. DaveT

DaveT Senior Refuge Member

Hate to say it but for $1000 you are buying a locker to buy a good fire rated safe you will be looking at $3500.00 and up

4. dirtyj

dirtyj Senior Refuge Member

image.jpeg Costco. I bought this rhino safe from there and I think it holds 30-40 guns if you move stuff around. I think I paid about $1500 but this was the biggest they had.

5. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

y'all have guns? I had mine stolen/given away a long time ago. Nothing to see here.

6. i4everkaos

i4everkaos New Member

i cant find any safe under 1k, but with that i don't mind spending money

7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

32 guns is going to cost more than a $1,000 but fire protection I think there is some scare tactics/high pressure by the salespeople to sell more expensive safe. If you have a decent fire department, highly unlikely your whole house is going to go up in flames and be on fire at high heat for a 60/90 minutes. My man cave is attached but not really to main house. It is a 20 x 16 room. It has 3 minutes worth of fuel, so 45 minute of good fire protection is probably enough. Nothing is an heirloom and I have adequate insurance with full set of pictures, videos and serial numbers in my safe deposit box and 3 other places, so hell if they do burn up I get new guns. Gun safes are to keep out the snatch and grabbers. If pros break into your house, they can get into your safe in fairly short order.

8. DaveT

DaveT Senior Refuge Member

You also have to watch the fire protection. Some does not seal the safe till it gets to a certain temp. So even if things don't burn up they will have smoke damage. It is best to talk to a good safe guy to see what your needs are and always buy a bigger safe than you need.

9. Docterduck

Docterduck Elite Refuge Member