Gun safety

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Fowler267, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I hate to hear a safety click off while I'm calling. I unload the chamber as soon as the hunt is over and case the gun... I have gun holders for each seat in the boat to keep a gun from falling or getting knocked over.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...-in-blood/ar-BBS0HRw?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=1PRCDEFE

2. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

That gun should have never been loaded. Sad deal, but hopefully others will learn a valuable lesson from this.

riverrat47, Vammy and Fowler267 like this.
  3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

That gun should have had at the very minimum, the action cracked open if a pump gun, or the action fully open if it were a semi or double barrel and that is without a dog in the picture. A gun rack is the best thing you can install on a vehicle. I mounted one on my boat leaning post that aims the muzzle up. This dog shooting duck hunter crap happens enough every dam season, you’d think guys would learn. Then there are the guys that pull out their shotguns out of the truck or boat....by the barrel. :doh

WoodieSC, riverrat47 and Fowler267 like this.
  4. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I hate hearing safety’s clicking off when birds are working, too. I tell people to click the safety off when the shot is called and they are coming up to shoot. I do it that way without thinking about it. Muscle memory

5. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Laying loaded guns down with dogs around can be dangerous as well. Also a rambunctious dog in a blind or pit can be dangerous knocking a gun or two over.

I witnessed a dog step on a loaded gun on a bow of boat as two guys went after a couple birds. When the got the far birds that sailed out deep the returned to shore to get a bird that dropped onto the phrags just south of the blind. One guy left his gun in bow, got out and Ancy dog in bow stepped on gun as the dog jumped out of bow. Gun went off and shot hole in bow missing the guy who got out. Could have been really bad but thank God it wasn't and was a good learning experience. I am just as concerned when I hear safteys click off prior to a potential shot as I am that folks put the safteys back on if the shot doesn't materialize.

6. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

This story is a good reinforcer to stay vigilant. I was goose hunting last weekend. Geese weren't cooperating so I left my layout blind to move some decoys. I had my dog with me so I unloaded my gun and left it in the blind facing the other direction. I looked back to see the dog tap dancing on my gun trying to get to some granola bars in my pack tucked behind the headrest. Had I not done that who knows. I could have been in the news.

Pastor and Fowler267 like this.
  7. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

I will hunt with anyone once but if they are not safe around guns I will never be around them with guns, again. This includes guys that click the safety off prior to rising to shoot. I've never had to ask anyone more than once to not do that. I have no problem being an *** when it comes to safe handling if needed.

8. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Irresponsible pet owners, one thing you can always count on. Start charging pet owners with the crimes of their animals, charge this person with attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon, even if it is their own dog that did it.

You don't have to have a pet, if you're going to, you'll be responsible for how it interacts with society. Think animals are unpredictable and that sets an unfair standard, don't own a pet.

Rebranger and WoodieSC like this.
  9. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Lucky man that it was "only" his leg. Probably because (I'm assuming) he's tall. Might've killed a shorter guy.

10. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

I'd call it irresposible gun owners not pet owners. We hunt not far from where this happen. Sad deal and I hate it for all the folks involved.