Gun shyness

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Russnutt209, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Russnutt209

Russnutt209 Senior Refuge Member

Hello all. Any advice given is appreciated. Little background info on my pup. So I have a soon to be four year old lab who is my registered service dog. He has always wanted to retrieve and I had him pretty lined out on holding and marking retrieves and was even working on blind retrieves on top of all his service dog stuff. Never needed to force fetch him and he always brought the bumper back to hand, until I spent two months in the hospital. He learned some real bad habits while I was gone. Once I got out I was able to continue the same regime due to my back. But he would still retrieve whenever I asked him. He didn't learn to swim. Until he was two he was deathly afraid of all water. I got him over his water fear and he loves it now. After he became a good swimmer I decided gun time this. Wasn't until. He was three. When I fire a shot he splits at least 8-20 yards but is looking in thr water for a bird. He has only been on two hunts so far and he did the same thing. He would run away and look. He made some excellent retrieves yesterday in the bay. So what can I do? I was thinking of paying for some pheasants seeing if that will help. I figure flush boom retreive a few times and it might ease his anxiety? I do not own an e collar. Again thank you for any advice stay safe! Russ. VideoCapture_20190111-112434.jpg VideoCapture_20190111-112503.jpg

2. 2-Dogs

2-Dogs Senior Refuge Member

Did you formally and deliberately introduce him to gunfire, or just start shooting over him?

Russnutt209 likes this.
  3. Russnutt209

Yea I believe I did it right. He was wth my kids on a leash and I started 400 yards out and worked my way in as soon as he got nervous. I walked a ways out again. Didn't do that until he was two though...

4. Russnutt209

But no I didn't just start blasting clays while he was leashed down next to me.

5. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Start small again
    starter pistol or have a freind shot from a distance have him on a lead so he cant run away and try to make it fun gun shots mean hes gonna retrieve something is what you want him to figure out

Russnutt209 likes this.
  6. Russnutt209

Sound advice. That's what I'm. Gonna do. This off season should I invest in an e collar also? Just to reinforce he's not allowed to split? Or is four years old to old to even start retraining.

7. Mr_Mallard

No ecollar for him just make it fun youll ruin a dog if you dont know what your doing with one!!!

Never to late he has plenty of years left
    I suggest getting a dummie laucher one like this he will associate the bang with a duck falling from the air https://www.cabelas.com/product/DT-SYSTEMS-SUPRE-PRO-DUMMY-LAUNCHER-KIT/2960288.uts?productVariantId=6089433&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=00976637&rid=20&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246537&ds_rl=1246540&ds_rl=1247888&gclid=CjwKCAiA4OvhBRAjEiwAU2FoJcah3jom519BMe8ijSUuhDSUQP1-j8lxyYX9Fqmuf70GbltX8ogdKBoCTB4QAvD_BwE

Russnutt209 likes this.
  8. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

Gun shyness is man made.
    The dog needs real birds to retrieve when a gun (blanks)
    goes off.
    You are also asking questions that are well addressed in most all modern training programs ---- you need to get on one.

Russnutt209 likes this.
  9. Mr_Mallard

Good point doc real birds would be best but if not avaiable wrap duck wings on a bumber

Russnutt209 likes this.
  10. Russnutt209

I got some frozen spoonies for this.