Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Guns into the USA

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Netley Hunter, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Netley Hunter

Netley Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Has anybody taken their guns across the border since the recent gun control &/or 9-11 thing. If so, what did it involve?

I'm feeling like I still want to kill some ducks. :h

2. HeathK

HeathK Senior Refuge Member

Yup.... it is complicated. You need a confirmed ATF Form 6 to present to US Customs. You can download this form from their site, complete it and then mail/fax it to them. In most cases they need to see a State hunting license from the state that you are going to (this seems to be the case even if you are not hunting). There is no cost but it has taken up to 10 weeks to get the Form 6 completed.

There is a link on the Canadian Firearms Centres website that gives you all the details. www.cfc.gc.ca

3. NORSKE

NORSKE Senior Refuge Member

10 times the hassle the us hunters have coming here.

It got so bad last spring when I wanted to go to montana turkey hunting that I finally made arrangements to borrow a shotgun from a farmer in the area i wanted to hunt

NORSKE

4. Rockblind

Rockblind Elite Refuge Member

22 KM from Stakeblind 4000 KM from Stoneblind's Ho
    My hunting partner got refused for a permit for his black powder gun, I faxed the request in and it was refused after 7 weeks. They stated that the model did not exist. What I was not happy about is that I called to get a status on the application and they were not helpful or polite at all. No manners what so ever.

5. B325

B325 Senior Refuge Member

This site has been created and maintained by Joe Potosky (Plattsburg NY, USA).
    http://www.losttarget.com/

There is a lot of information on this site but if you are patient you should find all the information required to cross the Border (either way) with a Firearm.

Note: He will reply to your e-mails.

6. TPM

TPM Elite Refuge Member

What did you expect from government employees?

7. Rockblind

Rockblind Elite Refuge Member

22 KM from Stakeblind 4000 KM from Stoneblind's Ho
    Expected your welcome, good bye, bye. Not just click!! I spoke to the same lady on 2 occasions and she was the same both times. Hard to beleive when you are working with the public!

8. TPM

TPM Elite Refuge Member

I know what you mean and I've experienced it myself on both sides of the border. However, I find that it's the exception for a government employee to treat the customer with respect and basic decency. Most of them seem to think they are our Lords.

9. Bunkhouse

Bunkhouse Elite Refuge Member

Now you can see what we have to deal with all the time and in all areas---not just guns. I hunt in Alberta regularly and have always found the Canadian officials to be courteous and helpful. Other than using it as another excuse to take your money, bring guns is not a hassle at all. I really have had great experiences hunting and have met some wonderful people. Hopefully the people you come into contact here after getting by the government red tape make your trip enjoyable.

Happy Hunting, Gary

10. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

:l :l Good luck. I dont meet many people anymore that are worth a damn .........including ordinary citizens. :eek: